An Idea for roasting your own grain at home?

Maybe but it’s easier to buy beer at Kroger.
I think home roasting you can get some control. Or if I’m out of roast and only need an ounce or two this would be easy.

I've never heard of an air popper?
Is that the same as a popcorn maker ?

And yes, would be easier to buy roasted grain, but I don't have that option

BB40603F-6A53-4CFA-807A-955EEA8694F3.png

Check out episode38 if Experimental Brewing, they take was couple questions from brewers who were planning this same thing...spoiler alert...their opinion is it's not worth the effort but hey...it's just fun to take stuff apart and repurpose it ...just don't burn the house down! :rolleyes:

I've seen some of the old-school versions of an air popper used to roast coffee. They work well.

I was wondering if anyone had tried a hot air fryer. A small amount might be doable.

Any traction on this here Barley Roastisery there Allan. I've got my money on you man brewing a nice brown ale or a stout using your own roasty malts :D.
@Trialben
Hi Ben,
I dug out the breadmaker and checked it out. It was not working. I found a Service manual for a near version of the same make (Panasonic Bread Maker) but couldn't get the full circuit specification / diagram - they (Panasonic) refused to issue it.
I replaced the main semiconductor chip - I had spares for that - and Voila!!! the Breadmaker worked. I decided to test it out making a loaf. It all worked as per the instructions so I have decided to scrap the idea about using it to roast grain - I'll make bread with it instead.

So... I may stick to buying malt already roasted or get the coffee roaster instead. No extra work required.

@Trialben
Hi Ben,
I dug out the breadmaker and checked it out. It was not working. I found a Service manual for a near version of the same make (Panasonic Bread Maker) but couldn't get the full circuit specification / diagram - they (Panasonic) refused to issue it.
I replaced the main semiconductor chip - I had spares for that - and Voila!!! the Breadmaker worked. I decided to test it out making a loaf. It all worked as per the instructions so I have decided to scrap the idea about using it to roast grain - I'll make bread with it instead.

So... I may stick to buying malt already roasted or get the coffee roaster instead. No extra work required.
It's a win win!
See nothing ventured nothing gained :)

Back