Amount Packaged Estimate Ignores Dry Hops

Box of Rocks

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
When you track your brew session steps, it would be great if the Amount Packaged estimate took into account dry hops and trub. The greater the volume of dry hops, and the greater the ABV, the less you will package. Or am I missing a whole module that already takes these into account?

When you track your brew session steps, it would be great if the Amount Packaged estimate took into account dry hops and trub. The greater the volume of dry hops, and the greater the ABV, the less you will package. Or am I missing a whole module that already takes these into account?

You can enter the amount packaged in the brew log.
1713965298834.png

The estimate of 5.25 is in the fermenter, as I had a post boil of 5.5 gallons. I don't really know of a way to estimate dryhop loss.

I've seen some inconsistent, wide margin of error, for dry hop absorption that is close enough for a ball park, but I'm not confident in it's usefulness overall.

I'm curious about the increased abv contributing to the fermentation trub loss, is the theory that more abv means more proteins and/or more yeast pitched and/or more stressful fermentation => more trub? Would be interested if you have any links or articles to share!

There is an estimate for losses from hops absorption in the boil and whirlpool, wouldn't it be about the same hops absorption of liquid in the fermenter? Losses to trub at the bottom of the fermenter might be harder to estimate, but would probably be related to the expected ABV, and perhaps even the type of yeast.

To get to clear beer at target ABV, I would imagine (and I have a great imagination and little actual knowledge) that the gravity points fall with gravity to form the trub, and that it might be predictable (OG, FG and type of grist). To be sure, hazies, different mashing or fermenting approaches, and other adjuncts might result in different trub amounts than a standard prediction, but for perhaps it might be modeled for most clear beers.

You can enter the amount packaged in the brew log.
View attachment 29205

The estimate of 5.25 is in the fermenter, as I had a post boil of 5.5 gallons. I don't really know of a way to estimate dryhop loss.
Other apps have a "fermenter loss %" field for each batch. You fill it in, can set a default. It defaults to 0 so the user can make it what they want

Other apps have a "fermenter loss %" field for each batch. You fill it in, can set a default. It defaults to 0 so the user can make it what they want
That would be helpful. Perhaps 15% for a lager to 30% for a heavily hopped NEIPA? Would be interested to hear what others see as % loss in final packaging compared to volume into the fermenter.

That would be helpful. Perhaps 15% for a lager to 30% for a heavily hopped NEIPA? Would be interested to hear what others see as % loss in final packaging compared to volume into the fermenter.
You could put what ever you needed based on your own setup

Thanks for the discussion everyone, I'm opening a request to add "packaging loss" to the equipment profile, with inputs for both flat/fixed amount, which would be useful for transfer losses based on the actual equipment, and a % which is useful for things like trub/hops.

I'll also put in a request to add the same fl oz / oz or mL per grams for estimating dry hopping losses.

Back