American ale question

Never brewed an American Light but have added quite a few flavors to it. We use it for off-flavor testing because it's so neutral. I don't know that I would ever brew one, they're bloody difficult and the reward is less than appealing. But if you want, any flavor should do but keep a light hand - a well-made American Light tastes just about like nothing.

Never brewed an American Light but have added quite a few flavors to it. We use it for off-flavor testing because it's so neutral. I don't know that I would ever brew one, they're bloody difficult and the reward is less than appealing. But if you want, any flavor should do but keep a light hand - a well-made American Light tastes just about like nothing.
Thanks for the reply. My idea was maybe making it have a slight citrus lemon or lime flavor. It’s always nice to have a light beer you can drink 10 of and not feel like garbage the next day. I was just wondering if anyone fermented with lemon peels or purée with this type of beer.

Unless you have a temperature controlled fermenting environment I'd recommend a Kolsch or Cream Ale. Both are great session beers. Adding lemon and/or lime zest late in the boil and in later stages of fermentation adds a little refreshing zip.

I've got a kaffir lime tree at home here I'm going to be using for that exact thing. I've added lime zest to a lager previously and I personally didn't like the result so be careful about how much your going to add it could just ruin it.

I've got a kaffir lime tree at home here I'm going to be using for that exact thing. I've added lime zest to a lager previously and I personally didn't like the result so be careful about how much your going to add it could just ruin it.
How much did you add? And how much would you recommend? Did you do the whole lime or the rhine?

There's the "radler" approach: blend your beer with lemon soda.

I kinda want some pointers on what others have done. We are in it together so I should just try a lemon peel in fermentation and report what happens

Back