Amarillo to whirlpool or to dry hop?

Brewer #334545

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’ve been experimenting with NEIPAS all spring / summer and one thing I’ve constantly notice is I get the plain bubble gum note to it.
At first I was convinced the kviek yeasts I have been using was the cause of this so I finally switched to London ale yeast III
However last night as I tasted left over wort from OG sample BAM it was already there.

so long story short,
I have been using Amarillo in all my NEIPAS usually 2oz in the whirlpool and 2-4 oz dry hop.
It is the only hop I’ve used in every one.
Has anyone ever noticed this whirlpooling Amarillo? I whirlpool usually around 160.

I always use Amarillo because every NEIPA I’ve enjoyed had a very distinct orange flavour character to it and Amarillo is always in the hops list.
-Will

Hi Will. I just finished the last bottle of my Memorial Day IPA, in which I used Amarillo as a flameout/hop stand addition. This was my first brew using Amarillo, and I did not notice any bubblegum flavors.

You can not trust wort flavor vs beer flavor. Fermentation changes wort in a number of ways, smoother bitterness, fruit flavors change, esters add to the flavors, not to mention aromatics lost from co2 discharge. Bubble gum flavors are almost exclusively attributed to yeast. Wait for the beer to ferment, carb it up and taste it again.

Beer isn’t wort and wort isn’t beer.

No problems with Amarillo myself. I use it a fair bit. If it's the star hop I sometimes notice a bitter peach taste, but most of the time it just blends into the other hops and I think of it adding a bit of sharp, vaguely stone fruit twang, along with a bit of dank.

I've got some sweet candy taste from other hops, but not bubblegum. But then we all give different names to the same flavours.

Back