Alternative to wheat for extract recipe

Klaus.101

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have an AG recipe that I want to brew using extract. However, my question concerns the wheat in the recipe. I understand that you can't steep wheat, so wondered what the solution would be? I've been told the wheat in the recipe is mainly for head retention, so was considering swapping it for the same amount of Carapils and steeping that instead. Anyone got any thoughts?

Here is the basic recipe for info:

Bath Gem 23litres
Maris Otter 91%, Crystal 4%, Wheat 4%, Chocolate 1%.
Hops Bittering Challenger, Aroma Goldings to IBU 22-25

Thanks!

Well that would make things simple!
I should clarify as may have misspoke. I think of steeping grains for extract as the same as a short mash for AG. So WAIT on someone else in case I am wrong. Ive treated it the same as barely malt but that would mean I’ve mashed with other gains. So I MAY be incorrect

It looks like wheat would need to be mashed as opposed to steeped to get conversion, but you aren't so much concerned with conversion as you are with helping with head retention. It looks like the carapils/carafoam would be a better option for this.
I found this, but can't vouch for its accuracy, but it seems to make sense to me.
There are others here will be more succinct on the subject than this.

Malts that Should be Mashed (Base Malts)

These malts are mostly lightly kilned (with brown malt as an exception), contain starchy interiors and sufficient enzymes to (at a minimum) convert their own starches into sugars.2-row pale malt - this can come from the US, UK, Scotland, Belgium, Australia or other countries, and may sometimes be labeled with the name of the malting barley variety (Maris Otter, Golden Promise or Optic)

• 2-row brewers malt
  • 2-row lager malt
  • 6-row pale malt
  • 6-row brewers malt
  • Pilsner malt
  • Vienna malt
  • Munich malt
  • wheat malt
  • rye malt
  • rauchmalz (smoked malt)
  • acidulated malt
  • mild ale malt
  • amber malt
  • brown malt
  • honey malt
  • aromatic/melanoidin
  • biscuit/Victory
  • some dextrin malts
Malts That Can be Steeped (Specialty Grains)
These malts do not have starchy interiors, either because the starches have been converted to sugars (in the case of stewed malts) or degraded by roasting. These malts can be steeped or mixed with base grains and mashed.

• Stewed malts - including crystal malts, (most) caramel malts, most Cara [something] malts, including Briess Carapils (but not every dextrin-type malt), Special B malts
  • Roasted malts (and grains) - including black malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, dark wheat malts, Weyermann Carafa malts
  • peat-smoked malt
A more complete listing can be found here: http://beersmith.com/grain-list/

I feel like wheat wouldn't be a steeping option. Do they not make wheat DME or LME?

Hi all.

I have an AG recipe that I want to brew using extract. However, my question concerns the wheat in the recipe. I understand that you can't steep wheat, so wondered what the solution would be? I've been told the wheat in the recipe is mainly for head retention, so was considering swapping it for the same amount of Carapils and steeping that instead. Anyone got any thoughts?

Here is the basic recipe for info:

Bath Gem 23litres
Maris Otter 91%, Crystal 4%, Wheat 4%, Chocolate 1%.
Hops Bittering Challenger, Aroma Goldings to IBU 22-25

Thanks!
You can steep flaked wheat. It'll work just fine as written.

I figured if I said something wrong enough he'd come correct it. ;)

You can steep any grain you want, it's just that some have an equivalent DME/LME that it makes more sense to use, especially as you need the sugar from the DME/LME.

If your recipe assumes you're steeping the wheat, I'd do that, rather than use DME/LME as that will change the recipe.

Wheat DME is a thing! That would be the simplest method.

It's made with wheat malt... No problem with steeping, you'll get the protein to increase body, I'm assuming flaked wheat, not wheat malt! You won't get any conversion by steeping flaked wheat unless you mix it with malted grain, about half, and steep as Yooper mentioned above.

Wheat needs to be mashed. I would not steep it unless you love starch haze (NEIPA, anyone?! ;) ).

For this recipe, I recommend skipping the wheat altogether. I promise, it's not even doing anything very productive in this particular recipe.

If you are hell bent on using wheat, then get some wheat DME. Problem solved.

Back