alternative to mini keg & CO2 cartridges

Zambi

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Still busy checking on kegs..
I came across oxebar 8 litre. Would that be a good option?
It seems to come with all fittings
https://www.craftbeersa.co.za/shop/8L-PET-Oxebar-Keg-p501088800

And would I have all material complete if I ordered the following (except regulator as is out of stock), or what am I still missing?

Screenshot_20230114-210756.png

Screenshot_20230114-210809.png

Those look interesting, cant't see any reason why they wouldn't work. My concern might be around gas refills, and maybe how robust the 'keg' itself is. Cost effective by the look of it though.

Thanks Steve
Does my equipment list look complete?
I'm sure I can get the gas cylinder refilled. I hope...
But in the other thread, it looked like people do quite a long time with 1 fill.

Still very undecided.
This looks like a reasonably priced set up, but too big to take with.
On the other hand, a nice size for my small batches (7-8 litre)

What about the regulator? Just had a quick look at those online and it looks like it needs a special cap if you're dispensing rather than storing.

I have a bunch of the 4lt steel kegs which take the cartridges and find them really robust, plus the cartridges are very easy to get and cheap.

What about the regulator? Just had a quick look at those online and it looks like it needs a special cap if you're dispensing rather than storing.

I have a bunch of the 4lt steel kegs which take the cartridges and find them really robust, plus the cartridges are very easy to get and cheap.

The guys that have these oxebars don't have a regulator in stock, so I would have to get that elsewhere.
Which worries me a bit as I'm not there to see if it all fits.

On the other hand, the mini keg guys got back to me. I decided to ask them a question to see if they really exist.
And they do :)

I'm using those kegs at the moment. Work just the same as a normal keg with the added advantage that they work lying down as well as upright. I'm happy with them and planning to buy more. There's a 4 litre version coming out soon as well.

The full size regulators are fairly universal once you're using the larger CO2 tanks. There's very standardised fittings on those. So not a lot of risk ordering from someone else.

The price of the keg looks like it includes the tapping head component (image below). The kegs on their own are really cheap. The equivalent of 12 rand from out local supplier. So might be worth having a second keg without the tapping head. Then you can be conditioning the next keg while drinking the current one.

kl27144_-_pco38_tapping_head_kit_0_1_.jpg

R2128 is about US$130, a very reasonable price for all that. An extra 8 l bottle, if inexpensive, is a good idea. I suggest an extra picnic tap too.

R2128 is about US$130, a very reasonable price for all that. An extra 8 l bottle, if inexpensive, is a good idea. I suggest an extra picnic tap too.
That's without the regulator that they get in stock today.

Bottom line: all together (incl regulator) just a little more expensive than stainless steel 4 litre mini keg with cartridge regulator, picnic tap & extra mini keg

It's not making my decission much easier!

How strong are those 8 ltr oxebar bottles @Mark Farrall ? Strong enough to take with? Easy to clean? Do you have dimensions for me?
Do they have to be filled totally, or could you put say 6 litres in there?

I know... Lots of questions.
Just wanting to make a decission today or tomorrow
Easy

That's without the regulator that they get in stock today.

Bottom line: all together (incl regulator) just a little more expensive than stainless steel 4 litre mini keg with cartridge regulator, picnic tap & extra mini keg

It's not making my decission much easier!

How strong are those 8 ltr oxebar bottles @Mark Farrall ? Strong enough to take with? Easy to clean? Do you have dimensions for me?
Do they have to be filled totally, or could you put say 6 litres in there?

I know... Lots of questions.
Just wanting to make a decission today or tomorrow
Easy
For strength they're fine when they're full and/or pressurised. When they're empty they are a little more flimsy, but you'd need to fall on them or be deliberately trying to damage one for it to matter. I'd have no issue taking them with me anywhere as long as there was pressure in the keg.

Cleaning not as good as a regular keg. Though slightly better than your mini keg, because at least you can see inside easily. I had a ring of hops from my wife's last double IPA. A bit of soak with hot water and some shaking and it was clean.

Fill as much or as little as you like. Our last use was 6 litres instead of 8. Dimensions are: diameter - 155mm, height - 520mm. And they work just as well standing up as lying down. It's a small footprint but fairly tall.

Here's a review -

Back