Aloha

Lee Tucker

Trial Member
Reaction score
Aloha from Hawaii!
I've been at it for a little over two years now beginning with a basic kit from my LHBS and have quickly expanded. Now I am doing all grain via BIAB, kegging, washing and re-using yeast, building keggles, hosting tasting sessions, teaching brewing to my friends, and many other things related to my new obsession that drive my wife crazy!

Brewing in Hawaii isn't all paradise though. Our LHBS doesn't carry a huge variety of ingredients/equipment, is expensive, and lacks great customer service. Also shipping here can be expensive so I have to shop around quite a bit to find something reasonable.

Mahalo for creating this great tool and resource! I've used it for three batches now and am excited to see the tool and the community around it grow.
Lee

Hi Lee,
Welcome to the fold, and aloha!

Yeah, grain would be expensive to ship because it is so heavy. Still, beer is expensive in Hawaii for the same reason, so you are probably coming out way ahead by home brewing!

I wonder if you could grow hops in Hawaii?

There was a guy in a local club here that had planted some last year but I haven't seen an update as to how it was going.
There are a few vendors like Niko Brew and Yakima Valley Hops that offer great shipping rates on hops and for every other need I like to use HopTech because they will ship everything to me in a flat rate USPS box which seems to be the best option. Some of the bigger stores are too automated in their shipping processes using only FedEx or UPS but HopTech really takes care of me.

Back