Alcohol Free Cider!

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know, right? But it's quite a thing over here at the moment and we have a beer and cider festival next week so I'm thinking about an alcohol free cider and have no clue.

I see these products in my daily stocktaking life and they always make me smile. Surely they're just carbonated apple juice? Well, I have loads of apple juice and currently have some carbonating alongside my latest batch of cider.

Any thoughts on flavourings for an alcohol free cider? I tried hops in a previous cider and seemed to just get bittereness without any aromatics so hops are - unfortunately - a non starter.

I was thinking more along the lines of less sweetness, not more. I have some citric acid which will bump the acidity up, and the sweetness down, but I want it to taste more like cider and less like a sweet soft drink if possible

The carbonation will help drop a little sweetness, and citric acid will add some tart. Cranberry juice (not 'cocktail') is fairly acidic and not that sweet. You can thin it out with water, too, to cut the cloying sweetness and make it more refreshing. Small amounts of calcium chloride and salt have interesting (albeit small) mouthfeel effects.

Fill a glass part way, then add stuff until you get a good feel for what that stuff does.Measure and keep notes so it can scale to a gallon or more.

Salt is interesting, as is lemon juice. Water is an excellent thought, will try that.

would trying a small amount of high attenuating yeast get the sweetness down along with the above suggestions but not produce much alcohol? Even kombucha warns that there may be traces of alcohol due to fermentation. Just saying!

Yup def hit it with some measured amounts of acid in a measured cup so you can scale it up for your keg.
I'd just keep it straight or you could blend different juices or use apple pear or apple blackcurrent.

Sounds like a goer

Lemon / lime.
Maybe even things like lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves?
And yes, alcohol free cider sounds like apple juice to me, or like spa apple (belgian brand mineral water) or so

Interesting thoughts; thanks.

I don't want any fermentation at all but alcohol free here means 'less than o.5% ABV' so there is room for it, just not what I'm after.

I'll have a mess around with some water/lemon juice/citric acid combos to try and knock the sweetness down and then maybe some salt/ginger to try and pep it up a bit and see what happens.

Lactic acid maybe worth playing with as well as cutting it with water. Interested in hearing how it comes out!

How's that Cider Comming along Steve Settle on a recipie/ process?

I've played around with citric acid and some different flavoring with good results.
I think next time I may add some maltodextrine as well for some additional body.

Back