Advice Needed - Wort Chiller Adapter

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #56665, Jan 10, 2016.

1. gfsuleta

gfsuleta New Member

I am moving in to All Grain Brewing and just bought a Wort Chiller and realized I have an issue with connecting to the faucet in the sink. I have a MOEN single handle pullout spray hose faucet, so was looking for an adapter to get me from the hose to the Wort Chiller. It is a MOEN faucet and after reaching out to customer support, I was told that the hose connection is 5/8-16 UN 28, which apparently is not very common and I am having trouble locating an adapter that will get from that size to the 3/4 in on the Wort Chiller. Any help in a solution or locating the right adapter would be greatly appreciated.

2. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Assuming you can find an adapter, can you remove the water flow restrictor in the faucet while chilling? I don't know where that would be in your faucet. The faucet hose may also be of such a small diameter that it could not be very effective for chilling. You could consider cutting a tee fitting in the cold water line underneath the sink, and putting a ball valve and required fitting for the chiller hose.

3. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

It might be cumbersome, but could you do it using a bathroom sink? Alternatively an outside hose faucet or mud room sink?
    Good luck, I was actually at the store today looking for the same thing. Luckily, our landlords haven't updated the kitchen in a while :D

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

For a standard faucet, they do make adapters. I don't know about the Moen. Check with a good plumbing supply company (I wouldn't go "big box" for this unless you're really sure of what you need). You'll essentially be replacing the aerator with an adapter.