Advice for Lager novices?

I believe I heard Dave Logston (a Wyeast big shot) say that if you make a starter with simple sugars, the yeast can loose their ability to convert more complex sugars. This would lead to an incomplete fermentation, and the beer flavor would be effected greatly. I agree with the 100% DME starter with a gravity around 1.040. If you save extra wort from a mash, you can also freeze it for longer storage. Just boil it up when you go to use it.

I like the idea of taking some wort from a previous brew and saving it for the next starter. Will try it for sure. Good cost saving too.
The glory of a starter for me is seeing how active your yeast gets. When I start mine 48hrs prior, it gives me greater confidence that the yeast will do its job. I generally use yeast which is gone beyond its best before date as I never get to brew when planned. I keep the yeast vials refrigerated right enough, but I would hate to use one straight up and wonder if it will work or not, and all that work and time for nothing. Vials at my homebrew store which become close to their best before date drop in price by 50%! and I have never experienced any failing in yeast performance or quality in beer taste later.
As a rule I make a starter. :D

LarryBrewer said:
Use 100% DME - the nutrients and sugar profile are what you want to train the yeast to, and what they thrive on.

The cheapest option is to make extra wort on brew day. Before the boil (after mashing), just pour whatever amount you want to save into sanitized jars and refrigerate.

I might try that next time around. In my case it would probably be best to just keep sparging secondary runnings into a different container, freeze it until needed, then boil down to the appropriate OG for a starter. Anyone have first-hand experience of this?

Back