Adjusting water

Geez!
Now that I look at it my dark and malty isn't so suited for dark and malty...
If we're going there yup I'd reverse that and up the chloride sorta like one of your NEIPA water profiles I've herd NEIPA water likened to stout water profile before.
This is my water for Bulins Shady Boh and it's nice and malty but ballanced (as in nothing sharp and offensive).
Screenshot_20210106-191817_Samsung Internet.jpg

Above combined with my malt bill gave me pH of 5.45, I didn't use any acid in the Mash.
I did add 1ml of lactic to the sparge water though, that was an audible at the line of scrimmage, not sure why I did that:eek:

So as many have commented, water pH is almost irrelevant, so adding the 'salts' is for trace minerals and flavor. (But not 'flavor' as you get from salt in pasta; it's more subtle and more associated with chemical reactions than brute flavor force).

I say the key is having 1. Enough minerals to allow the mash to do its thing, chemically and 2. The Chloride/Sulphate ratio desired for the beer type and taste preferences. Most styles have profiles in the water calculator; Palmer also gives useful water profile information in How To Brew.

In my water, which is very low mineral (Yay!), I almost always start with Gypsum (Calcium Sulphate), the goal being to add some Calcium and all the Sulphate I need. Then I add Calcium Chloride, to finish off the Calcium levels and add the Chloride level I need. I will then add some Phosphoric Acid it the Ph is too high. Typical quantities are 3 grams of each (in 8 gallons water), but it varies.

I do have Epson Salt (Make sure it's the unscented kind!!) to add Sulphate (Magnesium levels rarely need to be more than 10 PPM, but can be much higher) and table sale (non-iodized, like Kosher salt) to add Chloride. I try to keep Sodium levels below 100. I also have food-grade Lye (NaOH, also great for pretzels) and baking soda to increase pH when brewing with really dark malts. Other chemicals can be used, but carefully consider your goal to avoid having to stock all sorts of powders, and eye of newt.

Using the scientific method, the ideal situation would be to brew two batches, one with salts and one without, ferment and package them identically, and see if you can taste the difference.

This is a good and timely thread for many of us. My last batch was the first that I have adjusted water. I used the calculator on this site, and it functioned as others have described - you have to input numbers for the calculator to give results. One needs to “play” with the calculator. I look forward to my next brew and getting to “play” with the calculator to see where I can go using RO water. Municipal water in my home is great through a Brita filter, even tolerable straight .from the tap, usually. All of my first 20 or so batches were brewed with my own filtered tap water. I get an annual water report, but the currently available data does not reflect the upgrade of a very local water treatment facility that has just come back online after a yearlong facility upgrade. My past several batches have used RO water. Lots to investigate in this topic.

This is a good and timely thread for many of us. My last batch was the first that I have adjusted water. I used the calculator on this site, and it functioned as others have described - you have to input numbers for the calculator to give results. One needs to “play” with the calculator. I look forward to my next brew and getting to “play” with the calculator to see where I can go using RO water. Municipal water in my home is great through a Brita filter, even tolerable straight .from the tap, usually. All of my first 20 or so batches were brewed with my own filtered tap water. I get an annual water report, but the currently available data does not reflect the upgrade of a very local water treatment facility that has just come back online after a yearlong facility upgrade. My past several batches have used RO water. Lots to investigate in this topic.
Some call it a rabbit hole, but it is really just continued learning. Another tool in the toolbox you can use to make good beer become great beer!

Didn’t brew this weekend. Messing with water on a few possible things to brew this coming week weekend

Didn’t brew this weekend. Messing with water on a few possible things to brew this coming week weekend
Post up your recipe if you like, we can review and opine about your "seasonings"

Can't speak to the water profile for the second one, but I believe that your balanced profile suits the best bitter. I would say that the water profiles you have there are safe. Here is the water profile I have set up for David Heath's ESB, I could probably increase my Chlorides a bit closer to what you have there.
Screenshot_20210110-115710_Brewfather.jpg

For the London ale, if you can find a decarbonated London water profile, use that. The brewers there would not have used the raw water - too much carbonate - so they likely boiled it. Same with Munich. I've shared Martin Brungard's profiles for both. They'll be labeled London-Boiled-Brungard, same pattern for Munich.

Found those. Also searching the name I seen Lots of stuff for me to read

Back