Adding custom fermentables or "Other"

onesecondglance

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
In the past, to add a unique item to a brew - e.g. a flavouring - you could simply type in the "Other ingredients" section. However, when saving recipes, this throws an error saying the name of the "other ingredient" has not been specified. In order to clear the error, you have to wait for the dropdown to appear when you've finished typing and click "Add [name you just typed]". The same happens on custom fermentables - you used to be able to just type the damned name, but now you have to click that "add" button as well.

If this is a new feature, it's bloody stupid. If it ain't, it's a fault. Either way, it's a pain in the arse when building an heavily-flavoured stout.

This is being worked on right now. I'll check and see where they are with it.

Just to add - I've also noticed that if you don't explicitly click on the use / timing drop down values (e.g. Water Agent, Mash) then these also sometimes throw errors. I presume these are being added as null values in the database if the user leaves them at the pre-selected value in the UI.

What makes this more frustrating than it should be is there's nothing to visually indicate which item in the recipe caused the error - so if you have more than even a couple of "other ingredients" it becomes potluck finding out which caused the problem and how to fix it.

My OP is a bit on the rude side, for which I apologise, but this is paid for software, so I don't really appreciate it when stuff that used to work breaks. I do appreciate Yooper replying very quickly - thank you.

Just to add - I've also noticed that if you don't explicitly click on the use / timing drop down values (e.g. Water Agent, Mash) then these also sometimes throw errors. I presume these are being added as null values in the database if the user leaves them at the pre-selected value in the UI.

What makes this more frustrating than it should be is there's nothing to visually indicate which item in the recipe caused the error - so if you have more than even a couple of "other ingredients" it becomes potluck finding out which caused the problem and how to fix it.

My OP is a bit on the rude side, for which I apologise, but this is paid for software, so I don't really appreciate it when stuff that used to work breaks. I do appreciate Yooper replying very quickly - thank you.

You are NOT rude at all, and I appreciate your post. I've notified the developer about this frustrating experience and it's been put on the fast track to be fixed ASAP.
This should not happen with the software, and we apologize for the bother and inconvenience this causes. I'll keep you posted as to when we have the fix out.
Please always feel free to reach out to us- that's what I'm here for.

Back