Adding a spigot to my kettle

Triskele

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I right I'm doing extract but am thinking about getting into all grain. What I'm reading all grain using a mash tun is the way to go (for me). I really only would want to do 5 gallon brews.
I think the least expensive way is to build a mash tun from an 10g igloo.
Right now I have a 10 g SS kettle with no spigot.
So my question is really about adding a spigot. I don't want to ruin my kettle doing it wrong. So I figure there is two ways to add it. Drill a 1/2" hole or use a Greenlee hole punch.
I think the hole punch route would be preferred but I would have to buy the punch. Or do you think that drilling 1/2" through SS with a hand drill would work fine.

I right I'm doing extract but am thinking about getting into all grain. What I'm reading all grain using a mash tun is the way to go (for me). I really only would want to do 5 gallon brews.
I think the least expensive way is to build a mash tun from an 10g igloo.
Right now I have a 10 g SS kettle with no spigot.
So my question is really about adding a spigot. I don't want to ruin my kettle doing it wrong. So I figure there is two ways to add it. Drill a 1/2" hole or use a Greenlee hole punch.
I think the hole punch route would be preferred but I would have to buy the punch. Or do you think that drilling 1/2" through SS with a hand drill would work fine.
The Greenlee work ok, but are crazy expensive.

This works better for a fraction of the cost. They make a nice round hole.

EZARC Carbide Hole Saw Heavy Duty, Hole Cutter for Stainless Steel, Sheet Metal 3/4'' 19mm https://a.co/d/brgUjva

Horiznext Stainless Steel npt 1/2 Weldless Bulkhead Fitting for Beer Wine brewing kettle https://a.co/d/3xXrb5h

The first brew kettle I had came with a hole saw similar to what Minbari references. It worked but it took forever to drill. I went slow because I didn't want the heat from friction to cause the steel to harden. I also used cutting oil as a lubricant. That was my only experience drilling through stainless steel others may have different experiences or advice.

The first brew kettle I had came with a hole saw similar to what Minbari references. It worked but it took forever to drill. I went slow because I didn't want the heat from friction to cause the steel to harden. I also used cutting oil as a lubricant. That was my only experience drilling through stainless steel others may have different experiences or advice.
it does not cut fast, lol. but they do a good job. stainless is tough stuff.

I found if you cut a 2x4 to back the bit, you can push easier without bending the fermentor.

There's these too

1707006459918.png

Maybe a neater hole not used em a bit exy for the same outcome...

https://www.amazon.com.au/Hexagon-Cutter-Sink,Stainless-,Steel-Plate,1PCS/dp/B09GXYLKPT

those work, but god help you if you break the draw bolt. really hard to get the tool back out without destroying what you have it stuck in.

most are not rated for stainless either, which means you get about 5 holes before they are dull.
And it'd be limited to the thickness of the steel your cutting.

My keggle is around 3mm thickness stainless so probably wouldn't work...

I used a step drill like @Sunfire96
You obviously can't read the sizes while drilling, mark the size you want to get to with a sharpie so you don't go one too far.
As others have said, slow and cool to cut through stainless, and assistant to spray cutting solution would be good

1707053752684.png

Hm. I'd probably use the step drill, but I wonder: Is a .50 caliber bullet 1/2" diameter? :rolleyes:

Olive oil or canola oil is a nice food safe lubricant to use with the step bit. Avocado oil would be best if you have it, higher smoke point

Back