Added too much water to fermentor - Suggestions?

eddie_burns

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just finished up a partial mash brew, but I added too much water to the wort in the fermentor. I think my thief was pulling up too much sediment which was throwing off my gravity readings. I ended up with an OG of about 1.058 when I was going for more like 1.072.

I guess my question is, what do you think this will mean for the beer and is there anything I can do to save it? It was going to be a pretty big beer as it was (recipe here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... a-dog-iipa) Does it mean I'll just have more of a standard IPA than a double IPA?

Plus side - extra beer, and the bitterness with shine through more. Down side, lower alcohol and less body.

You could maybe add 1/2 lb of dextrose, but that might also thin it out and make it taste 'hot'. I'd be hesitant to mess with it, and just take it as a learning experience. We all have to drink through our experiments - or give to friends.

The Recipe Tools -> Water Requirements feature should be helpful for hitting target volumes.

How long ago did you brew and do you have any DME on hand? If you do, dissolve the amount you need to bring the beer up to the gravity you want in some water, cool it and add it to the fermentor. BUT only do this if it's less than a couple of days since you pitched the yeast and if you have room in the fermenter! You're about 14 points off, assuming five gallons, you need 70 points of gravity. DME yields about 43 points/pound so you'd need to add 1 pound, 10 oz of DME to bring the beer back up to your intended gravity. I'd guess you'll need about a quart of water. Again ONLY do this if you're within a couple of days of pitching. Otherwise, relax, don't worry and have a slightly lighter than expected homebrew.

eddie_burns said:
I think my thief was pulling up too much sediment which was throwing off my gravity readings.

Fine particulate matter and solids in the sample does not effect the gravity reading. Only the sugar dissolved into solution will effect the hydrometer reading.

I put it in the fermenter on saturday 6/1. It's probably too late to do anything about it. I guess I'll just enjoy a very hoppy but lower ABV beer than I was expecting. Not the end of the world. Thanks for the tips everyone

Getting a reputation as a great brewer is kind of like getting a reputation as a great photographer: Take lots of pictures and don't show anyone your mistakes. Stuff happens and I'm sure you will have a wonderful "Lawnmower IPA" in the end.

Back