Add some unmalted wheat to IPA?

Herm brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought some unmalted hard red wheat berries for addition to a vegetarian stew. It seems that I have read that small additions of wheat can aid in mouthfeel and foam stability. As such, I am considering adding just a small amount (2 to 4 ounces) to my Best IPA recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1430556/best-ipa
Do any of you want to say “Yeah, do it!” or talk me off the ledge? This brew day keeps getting pushed back, but tomorrow I am brewing, come hell or high water.
Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt. Although the amount isn’t a lot. Raw wheat is often used to increase haze in beer. I used about 1% of malted wheat in beer for better head retention, not sure if it makes a difference, but it doesn’t hurt either.

I would add like 8oz. then you would definately be able to tell what it did. worst case you have a wierd IPA

If I remember, Herm does smaller batches, so 4 might make a little difference. I like to go a pound for 5 gallons of the flaked variety if going the adjunct route, especially for BIAB.

Weird and fruity can be good in an IPA. A brewery here makes a blueberry one that I like.

I would add like 8oz. then you would definately be able to tell what it did. worst case you have a wierd IPA
I’m trying to make my “best” IPA, not my weirdest. Since my batch size is 2.5 gallons, 8 ounces would be a significant addition. I was thinking more along the lines of 2-4 ounces at most.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt. Although the amount isn’t a lot. Raw wheat is often used to increase haze in beer. I used about 1% of malted wheat in beer for better head retention, not sure if it makes a difference, but it doesn’t hurt either.
I am not looking to make a hazy IPA, I was really aiming for head retention, and maybe a little mouth feel.
At this moment, I don’t have any malted wheat available to me, just raw hard red wheat.

In my Wheat Ale, I used almost 50% malted wheat. A 1/2 teaspoon addition of Irish moss at 15 minutes resulted in one of the clearest beers I have ever made. It is interesting how little details (like malted vs unmalted) can make such a big difference.

Weird and fruity can be good in an IPA. A brewery here makes a blueberry one that I like.
Maybe some other time, but tomorrow I won’t be adding fruit to my batch.

Hopefully this batch turns out well enough, and then I can add or subtract with future batches.

Yesterday I bought some unmalted hard red wheat berries for addition to a vegetarian stew. It seems that I have read that small additions of wheat can aid in mouthfeel and foam stability. As such, I am considering adding just a small amount (2 to 4 ounces) to my Best IPA recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1430556/best-ipa
Do any of you want to say “Yeah, do it!” or talk me off the ledge? This brew day keeps getting pushed back, but tomorrow I am brewing, come hell or high water.
Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism.
You know I'm gunna say do it herm!
I've used raw pearl barley as well.
I used to use that in soups and such.

Hey nothing ventured nothing gained mate :)

You know I'm gunna say do it herm!
I've used raw pearl barley as well.
I used to use that in soups and such.

Hey nothing ventured nothing gained mate :)
2 ounces in my 5.5 pound malted barley grain bill, or the equivalent of 2.22% of said grain bill.
3 ounces would come in at just about 3.3%
4 ounces would be 4.3%
Unmalted hard red wheat is what I have.
Tomorrow morning is the point of no return!

2 ounces in my 5.5 pound malted barley grain bill, or the equivalent of 2.22% of said grain bill.
3 ounces would come in at just about 3.3%
4 ounces would be 4.3%
Unmalted hard red wheat is what I have.
Tomorrow morning is the point of no return!
It will brew :cool: .

Is head retention the goal? The head comes from protein, which wheat has. As do oats. At least, more than barley I guess.

And no, don't just add protein powder.

In a small amount, it won't hurt and might help. My Hefeweitzen, over 50% wheat, isn't a crazy head-retaining monster. My Ale is around the same.

I speculate that mash temperature has more to do with head retention than ingredients, but I could be wrong, as I so often am.

Is head retention the goal? The head comes from protein, which wheat has. As do oats. At least, more than barley I guess.

And no, don't just add protein powder.

In a small amount, it won't hurt and might help. My Hefeweitzen, over 50% wheat, isn't a crazy head-retaining monster. My Ale is around the same.

I speculate that mash temperature has more to do with head retention than ingredients, but I could be wrong, as I so often am.
Head retention would be a big plus on my IPA, but it is not make or break. I have the unmalted hard red wheat on hand, and I have quick oats, and also extra thick rolled oats. I am definitely not looking for haze, but if it occurs, that is not a deal breaker either. My intention is to mash for 60 minutes, starting at ~152F. I typically lose about 4 degrees F through the hour long mash.

I only know of unmalted wheat in a weizen and even though it is on my list, I haven't made it yet
Keep us posted about the result @Herm brews

I only know of unmalted wheat in a weizen and even though it is on my list, I haven't made it yet
Keep us posted about the result @Herm brews
You all will know when I do. I am going to sleep on it, and make the call in the morning.
Monday morning is Brew Day!

You all will know when I do. I am going to sleep on it, and make the call in the morning.
Monday morning is Brew Day!
Because of the brew bag, I don't know how much difference it will make, but I would try it. I don't notice much in mine until I get up to around the 8% range. I have tried the 4% range, but I did not notice a whole lot at that level with the brew bag. It will be a good experiment if nothing else.

Can't see how it would hurt, though it may not help. An all barley IPA is generally pretty good on the mouthfeel and head retention. It will give a bit more of a help to haze, but whether it makes the beer hazy probably depends on when you're hopping.

Also I find raw wheat can be a pain to convert. Even though it's most likely in the gelatinisation range it seems to need a bit of time for it to happen. You could maybe give it a bit more time before adding the barley. Or I sometimes boil it into a wheat porridge before adding it to the mash.

Can't see how it would hurt, though it may not help. An all barley IPA is generally pretty good on the mouthfeel and head retention. It will give a bit more of a help to haze, but whether it makes the beer hazy probably depends on when you're hopping.

Also I find raw wheat can be a pain to convert. Even though it's most likely in the gelatinisation range it seems to need a bit of time for it to happen. You could maybe give it a bit more time before adding the barley. Or I sometimes boil it into a wheat porridge before adding it to the mash.
I brewed the beer on Monday, adding an ounce each of unmalted hard red wheat and thick rolled oats. My intention is to make a clear, not hazy IPA. For hops, I added nugget at 60 for ~50 IBU’s , Chinook at 5 for about 8 IBU’s and Centennial for a 20 minute hop stand starting at ~180F. For 4 days before bottling, I will dry hop with Mosaic. When transferring from kettle to fermenter, the wort ran clear.

I brewed the beer on Monday, adding an ounce each of unmalted hard red wheat and thick rolled oats. My intention is to make a clear, not hazy IPA. For hops, I added nugget at 60 for ~50 IBU’s , Chinook at 5 for about 8 IBU’s and Centennial for a 20 minute hop stand starting at ~180F. For 4 days before bottling, I will dry hop with Mosaic. When transferring from kettle to fermenter, the wort ran clear.
Sounds like you made beer!
cheers

Back