Acid Additions Not Functioning Correctly

shepp1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else had issues with the incorrect ph being given for acid additions for reducing alkalinity?
It is saying I need at least 30 ml of phosphoric acid to get to my required mash ph in a 16 litre batch of best bitter.I know this is at least twice what is required.

What concentration does it use?

Has anybody else had issues with the incorrect ph being given for acid additions for reducing alkalinity?
It is saying I need at least 30 ml of phosphoric acid to get to my required mash ph in a 16 litre batch of best bitter.I know this is at least twice what is required.

Can you give me a link so I can check it out?

Can you give me a link so I can check it out?
Yes thanks,
To get my mash to the required ph the recipe builder says I need 50ml of phosphoric acid, I would think it should be nearer 5ml.
I tried CRS which the recipe builder has always in the past calculated correctly, but is now indicating I need more than 50ml to get to my required mash ph.
This forum will not accept my link, so if you could look up Hogs Back TEA 16L you will find it.

Thanks for the additional info- I found it. There were a couple of things going on there. One, the recipe wasn't "linked" in the main page, so make sure you click "link" and 'update recipe' once you make the additions. That wasn't a big deal, because it made very little difference- but be sure to do it.

Secondly, when you added the acid you didn't click "mash only" and specify to add the acid to get the mash pH you wanted. It made just a bit of difference, not much, though:
upload_2021-8-3_14-47-12.png

If you're using 10% acid, that's not an unusual amount for the amount of alkalinity you're targeting:
upload_2021-8-3_14-48-33.png

In order to counteract that boatload of alkalinity and yet get the mash pH to under 5.4, you'd have to add quite a lot of phosphoric acid.

That's the main part, as the other things are very minor and don't make that much of a difference. However with an alkalinity that is that high, you'd have to add the acid to get the mash pH down. When you have high alkalinity in the water, and a light colored grain bill, you need to add acid to neutralize that alkalinity.

Thanks for the additional info- I found it. There were a couple of things going on there. One, the recipe wasn't "linked" in the main page, so make sure you click "link" and 'update recipe' once you make the additions. That wasn't a big deal, because it made very little difference- but be sure to do it.

Secondly, when you added the acid you didn't click "mash only" and specify to add the acid to get the mash pH you wanted. It made just a bit of difference, not much, though:
View attachment 16912

If you're using 10% acid, that's not an unusual amount for the amount of alkalinity you're targeting:
View attachment 16913

In order to counteract that boatload of alkalinity and yet get the mash pH to under 5.4, you'd have to add quite a lot of phosphoric acid.

That's the main part, as the other things are very minor and don't make that much of a difference. However with an alkalinity that is that high, you'd have to add the acid to get the mash pH down. When you have high alkalinity in the water, and a light colored grain bill, you need to add acid to neutralize that alkalinity.

Many thanks, I will have a closer look at that in the morning, I am in England so evening here.

Back