About to start some Meads

Open fermentation, a true experiment:)
I tried my first one in Asheville. I didn't want anything high alcohol, so had a "session". That particular one was a little sweet for my taste, but I was glad I tried it. We have a brewery in town that makes a 6% regular honey beer that I like a lot.

So these got started on Sunday

And as per my usual results with Wyeast Smack Packs, I got no significant signs of activity after about 3 hours.
I pitched the yeast and the inner packets were broken open. I know you can pitch without swelling...just not optimal.

Took about 24 hours to get started, and it is a bit chillier in my basement than optimal, but they are chugging away, this take the airlock off and shake up is so counter-intuitive...but I am rolling with it.

About to plan out my next to batches

BBDAA0F1-6B6F-4B2E-9463-C4DF745EACE2.jpg

So these got started on Sunday

And as per my usual results with Wyeast Smack Packs, I got no significant signs of activity after about 3 hours.
I pitched the yeast and the inner packets were broken open. I know you can pitch without swelling...just not optimal.

Took about 24 hours to get started, and it is a bit chillier in my basement than optimal, but they are chugging away, this take the airlock off and shake up is so counter-intuitive...but I am rolling with it.

About to plan out my next to batches

BBDAA0F1-6B6F-4B2E-9463-C4DF745EACE2.jpg
Fermenting straight aye?
No fruit or spice additions?
Time for patience.

I once sat in on mead judging at a competition opened my eyes to how delicious they can be!
Blueberry mead was my favourite.
I know Jack about them though lol!

I was reading through Bray's website today and I don't remember seeing any shaking of the fermenter. I honestly thought it was odd the ingredients for the must weren't boiled, but it makes sense. I'd like to do a 1 gallon batch soon using the method outlined on youtobrew.com/mead-making

Fermenting straight aye?
No fruit or spice additions?
Time for patience.

I once sat in on mead judging at a competition opened my eyes to how delicious they can be!
Blueberry mead was my favourite.
I know Jack about them though lol!

1.2 Gallon Batch: JOA-ish BOMM

3lb OB Honey
Peels from 2 Cuties
1/2 Small whole Clove
1/2 Nutmeg Berry
1 All-spice Berry
1 Vanilla bean
Wyeast 1388
Everything in primary, will take sample and gravity on Sunday

1.2 Gallon Batch BOMM

3lb OB Honey
Wyeast 1388
will sample and gravity Sunday as well

I was reading through Bray's website today and I don't remember seeing any shaking of the fermenter. I honestly thought it was odd the ingredients for the must weren't boiled, but it makes sense. I'd like to do a 1 gallon batch soon using the method outlined on youtobrew.com/mead-making

So another good web site based on Dr Bray is Mead Making 101 — You To Brew
they have a discord as well, but it is not super active.
The shaking is to degas, do it for the first week, with so much simple sugar there is a lot of CO2 that builds up in the must, and you have to release it or it gets toxic for the yeast
As for not boiling, Honey is hard for anything to live in, low moisture, unless you are using a ton of raw/fresh fruit and as long as you pitch a healthy yeast, there should not be to many issues (now this all book learnin') If you are throwing a lot of raw/fresh stuff than you just dose it with 1 campden tablet per gallon, and let it sit for 24-48 hours then pitch...from what I have read.

DISCLAIMER: any thing I type here as process or advice is based on reading and research, not real life experience..yet...please double check my facts, and remember if you ask 3 mead makers how to make mead you will get 10 different answers

So another good web site based on Dr Bray is Mead Making 101 — You To Brew
they have a discord as well, but it is not super active.
The shaking is to degas, do it for the first week, with so much simple sugar there is a lot of CO2 that builds up in the must, and you have to release it or it gets toxic for the yeast
As for not boiling, Honey is hard for anything to live in, low moisture, unless you are using a ton of raw/fresh fruit and as long as you pitch a healthy yeast, there should not be to many issues (now this all book learnin') If you are throwing a lot of raw/fresh stuff than you just dose it with 1 campden tablet per gallon, and let it sit for 24-48 hours then pitch...from what I have read.

DISCLAIMER: any thing I type here as process or advice is based on reading and research, not real life experience..yet...please double check my facts, and remember if you ask 3 mead makers how to make mead you will get 10 different answers
That's the site I was reading. Very helpful

1 Week Update

JOAM -1.026-can taste the Orange from the fruit/peels but no cinnamon or vanilla, will reevaluate when it is at terminal gravity possible secondary additions

BOMM - 1.040-Really sweet, pure honey

Both chugging away

2 Week Update

JOAM -1.000-Cinnamon is kinda hot now, pulled it and the rest of the spices and oranges. Will drop the fruit of two cuties in tomorrow along with 1 or 2 vanilla beans

BOMM - 1.010- Honey is there can taste the difference between 1.040 and 1.010 for sure, might back sweeten this with Burbon maple syrup

Will check gravity again next week, I know the BOMM system says not to rack, but I will so I can get my next 2 in the fermenters

2 Week Update

JOAM -1.000-Cinnamon is kinda hot now, pulled it and the rest of the spices and oranges. Will drop the fruit of two cuties in tomorrow along with 1 or 2 vanilla beans

BOMM - 1.010- Honey is there can taste the difference between 1.040 and 1.010 for sure, might back sweeten this with Burbon maple syrup

Will check gravity again next week, I know the BOMM system says not to rack, but I will so I can get my next 2 in the fermenters
Where does the BOMM method say not to secondary? I'm pretty sure the Joe's Ancient mead is the minimal effort recipe. You To Brew mead definitely racks to secondary

I think I read it somewhere, but I could be wrong.I did rack and they are cold crashing, I might rack one more time to separate as much yeast as possible

About to start 2 more meads a Cyser and a Metheglen with Chai tea

Need to grab some basic honey tomorrow

I racked my 2 meads over to secondary

The Metheglen was just a transfer to help it clear…I really should have pulled a sample for gravity and taste

The cyser I had to pull of the yeast and dates and added about 1/4 pound of dehydrated apples. Didn’t taste or check gravity of it either but will in a day or so.

Of the first 2, the Traditional is looking nice and clear about to bottle it next week.
The Ancient Orange is clearing slowly, I forgot to add pectic enzyme when I made it up front. But I added about double the dose last week and it has helped some

Back