Ability to put Maltster in Fermentables section

Yeldarb

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would love to have the ability to add the Maltster (Grain Company) into my recipe. I'm at the point in my brewing where the Maltster plays a role in my finished product and it would be great to go back through my recipes to change or keep the Maltster from batch to batch. Currently I have to add each of them in the notes section which isn't the most convenient.

It is odd that there are lots of specific commercial yeast options but not malts. A field for manufacturer is a good start.

BF uses malt variables heavily in its calculators but doesn't allow for differences between say, a GW American pale and a Briess American pale unless variables are entered manually. Analysis sheets are available for a lot of products now.

I'd also love to eventually have a place to enter and utilize moisture content. I currently use hand calcs to adjust total grain weight when using a malt with 5.1% vice 1.4% and it throws the BF formulas out of whack.

An update- we are working diligently on this. I am busy collecting maltsters and their data.

I have Viking malts and Briess so far. If anyone else has a maltster to add on the list, let me know. A link to their products would be helpful if they are not well-known internationally.

If anyone else has a maltster to add on the list, let me know
Many don't list spec sheets unless contacted directly.

Great Western
Rahr
Weyermann (US specs link broken)
Bestmalz
Simpsons
Crisp
Muntons

Those are some of the big ones. There are many many many small ones. I don't mind adding my local craft malts as custom fermentables. It would be nice to carry them across recipes instead of manually entering each time.

Last edited:
Castle Malting, Belgium

Going to be honest, my ingredient list is of the type
2-Row
Marris Otter
Etc...

I don't pay any attention to where it comes from but I probably should.

Ditto that. I really don’t care whether Post or Kellog makes my corn flakes.

Back