A word to the wise

There is that small detail.... Here are the problems with milk jugs as I see them: Oxidization and refermentation. You'd introduce oxygen pouring the beer into the jugs and while the beer was sitting in jugs waiting to be rebottled, it would start to ferment. So, assuming you can get a new capper in a day or so, here's my idea for keeping the beer in bottles while looking for a new capper: Cover each uncapped bottle with a temporary cap of aluminum foil. That'll keep unwanted bugs out, you don't get additional oxygen into the beer and if you get them capped in a day or so, you don't lose too much carbonation. Stretch wrap (saran wrap) should work too. It's mostly sanitary when you unroll it, too.

I was kidding about the milk jugs.

I've seen people mention crazier things.

A word to the wise, don't procrastinate on brewing your next beer on schedule and run out, a six pack for $12 really ? lol

Not to worry. I'm brewing Sumday, I've got 8 in the pipeline, and 5 or 6 ready to drink!

jeffpn said:
Just the other night, I considered buying a second capper. What do you do when that breaks??

you drink a lot of uncarbed beer, right then.... I actually have 2 cappers, one standard entry kit capper, and one that is a capper/corker I got for bottling wine, but if I needed it it's there.

Ditto: If it's vital, have a backup.

Word to the Wise...if your girlfriend curls her nose and complains about the smell of brewday at your place, end the relationship on the spot!!!

Over the winter I brewed in the garage with the doors closed. My wife said she loved the smell!

Roscoe said:
Word to the Wise...if your girlfriend curls her nose and complains about the smell of brewday at your place, end the relationship on the spot!!!

I wouldn't recommend oatmeal or cream of wheat in the house either! As long as you're still in separate domiciles, what's the problem? :)

Word to the Wise, never just throw a bunch of almost empty bags of grain in your free for all beer with out weighing and documenting the beer, it could just be the best beer to date and you have no way to repeat it

My brew kettle has a manifold connected to an elbow, no false bottom. Never, ever, EVER put anything larger than pellet hops in the pot. No... spruce tips will not float, and they will not (all) whirlpool to the center. Ditto for whole hops. There will be a big mess. We'll see how the Spring Has Sprung Spruce Ale turns out -- more opportunities for infection than I like to think about.

when you pour a glass and suddenly a burn goes through your stomach, your likely over carbonated, if in a keg the easy way to fix this is to unhook the gas, warm the keg up slowly and pull the relief valve every hour, after a day or so its back to normal, might even go too far but thats OK, just hook up the co2 and your set

Use of blow off tubes is much preferred over the alternative...

I agree, most of my beers will blow right through an air lock so I don't use them any more, a tube is what i use now all the time

When I got back into brewing this year, I remembered all of my messy air locks, so I set up blow off tubes in my carboys every time. Didn't need any! I'm back to airlocks for now. Nothing wrong with being safe, though.

I'm using an 8-gallon Speidel fermentor for five gallon batches.... And have still had to install blowoff tubes for a Belgian Blonde! Better safe than cleaning up an exploding carboy - use blowoff tubes for at least the first few days!

Belgians, and Cal Ale 001 seem to blow the most. English and German yeast are somewhat more restrained.

My most violent yeast are WLP007 English Ale Yeast, Nottingham Dry Yeast and San Diego super yeast, all produce a huge amount of c02 fast

a word to the wise, even though you like constructed criticism from time to time, don't change your brewing to please anyone but your self, they are not you, and you are the king of your beers lol

Back