A hello from a New York soon to be brewer :)

social_misfit

Trial Member
Reaction score
Good Day I just want to say hello I am not brewing as of yet but will be starting by the 4th of July, I was going to start with a few extract brews but will be starting with all grain

I am just now finishing my setup and brew space then need to order some grain and a few other things

I will be doing 11 gallon batches in a 13 gallon primary kept in a 15 cu ft chest freezer with a STC 1000

I have been checking out the recipes here and other places, I think I would like to start out with a few smash brews with casade or nothern brewer hop

maybe horizon

nice site and lots great info

S_M

Thanks for the welcome and the link , I plan on using Nottingham dry yeast I was going to just rehydrate two 11 gram packs

I am going to do three brews with the same yeast, same temperature (68 F) and hops but with three different base malts

I will be using Northwest Pale Ale , Vienna Malt and Munich Malt at 22 lbs per batch and mash around 153 maybe 154 to get a little more body with two batch sparges in a 75 quart cooler

the base malts are 100 % of the grain bill with a hop schedule 60 min. , 20 min. , and 5 min with 1.75 oz at 60, 1.25 oz at 20 and 1.25 oz at 5

but I just ordered my grain so it could all change :) , I would like to carbonate with corn sugar in a couple of 5 gallon soda kegs then just draw it like a real ale

but more then likely I push it out the CO2

all the best

S_M

Sounds like you are well on your way and are taking a measured scientific approach! Experimenting with ingredients and flavor combinations drives a lot of my brewing. Sometimes I'm tempted to do smaller batches so I can experiment more often.

LarryBrewer said:
Sounds like you are well on your way and are taking a measured scientific approach! Experimenting with ingredients and flavor combinations drives a lot of my brewing.

Right I am reading about bitter unit to gravity unit and the ratio of the different styles of beer, I like learning the hows but am the kind of person that also needs to know the whys.

a couple of helpful links

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~rohw0009/homebre ... bvcalc.htm

http://www.madalchemist.com/chart_bitterness_ratio.html

over at homebrewtalk I have read many times folks saying it will still be beer which is correct but will it be good beer :)

am I hoping to brew myself something that will pass as good beer to others then just myself

I like ales so that is what I am going to work on for now but I do like a good stout also , all of what I drink is at cellar temperature with lower carbonation

all the best and have a great day

S_M

Under the More... dialog in the recipe editor, the BU/GU ratio is provided.

thanks and who says you don't learn something new every day

but before I read about I did not even know what it was or why I would have wanted to :)

S_M

Back