5 gallon sealed containers

Just brewed my 2nd BIAB batch with the no chill method. I brewed it on Friday and yesterday it was bubbling away.
I bought one of those Aquatainers at Walmart for this batch. Once the boil was done, I used some tubing to transfer the wort into the Aquatainer (which i obsessively sanitized with Star San even though I didn't have to). The next morning it was right at 70 degrees, so I pitched the yeast and put it away for a few weeks.

My only complaint is that I followed all the BF brew instructions to the "T" and only got 1.45 OG when it should have been 1.65. Could it be too much water? Watered down wort? I even did the mash step for 90 minutes, vs the 60 minutes recommended just to get more sugars out of the grains. These are fresh grains I bought recently and crushed the morning of the brew session.

Anyway, happy with BIAB and also happy with the No Chill method in this drought climate of NM!

Ultrastevep said:
My only complaint is that I followed all the BF brew instructions to the "T" and only got 1.45 OG when it should have been 1.65. Could it be too much water? Watered down wort?

Following instructions to a "T", you should know how much water was used and what the final volume is compared to what the final volume should be. If these two volumes are markedly different then you got watered down wort. If not, then the problem lies elsewhere.

Question Ultra Steve, Are you fermenting in the same vessel that you no chill in, or do you transfer to a carboy? Nothing to do with your question, just curious.

I chilled the wort in the Aquatainer, then the next day transferred it into the fermentor, added the yeast, sealed it up and it was bubbling by the next morning.
I agree with you about watered down wort. I used the water volume recommended by the Brewer's Friend, but I think it was more than it needed. I did end up with maybe a half gallon extra in the chill cube, but it was all hops so didn't mind that.
I'll figure it out..I did see somewhere, maybe on the Aussie BIAB website about how much water to use per pounds of grain for a 5 gallon batch. Will have to check and see if that matches what BF suggested.
For me it's all about the flavor, not the ABV....so if it tastes nice and hoppy, I'll be happy! :D

Back