3rd Quarter Brew

What kind of hop is HBC472?

What kind of hop is HBC472?

I bought these at Yakima Valley Hops

HBC 472 is an experimental hop variety from the Hop Breeding Company, which is a joint venture between John I. Haas and Yakima Chief Ranches. It is the result of open pollination of a neomexicanus mother. The aroma of HBC 472 has been described as "oak, bourbon barrels, coconut, vanilla, citrus, and sweet fruit."

I'm going to need some help with alternatives (again)
No cookie, chocoalate and acidulated malt.
No carahell either, but I do have cara amber. Acidulated can be left out and add some acid to the mash maybe? But what about the chocolate cookies?
And thats before looking into hop & yeast :rolleyes:

No carahell either, but I do have cara amber. Acidulated can be left out and add some acid to the mash maybe? But what about the chocolate cookies?
Biscuit malt would be the closest substitute, but I'd likely just toast some pilsner malt in the oven for a bit.
Not sure about the pale chocolate substitute.
I have used Sabro which is a neo Mexican hop and certainly got an underlying coconut, so maybe that would work for the hops.
The yeast would be any Cali ale yeast such as Bry-97 or safale 05

Last edited:
Yes, acidulated malt is just another way of getting acid into the mash, so some acid if you have it would do the same thing. Lactic or Phosphoric. Not sulphuric!

@Over The Cliff Brewing
or anyone...

Any issues with using Maris Otter and 30% adjuncts? I'm putting the recipe together for a late summer brew-day (this beer screams Autumn and falling leaves to me :)) and my diastatic power is just squeaking by at 35. Can't remember ever brewing that close to the edge.

Hoping to get this knocked out Tuesday morning with a few inconsequential adjustments based on inventory.

Anyone here have a lash yet?

I would if a i could trust me but I'm out on this one sorry to say.

My last two brew days were Q2 and Q3. Let’s draw Q4 now…I’m on a roll. :p

IMG_1308.jpeg

Back