3.5 Gallons in the fermenter on a 2.5 gallon batch??

keith_374

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I made the recipe Sweet California Blonde from brewers friend and it said to start with 4.78 gallons. I followed the instructions and when I put the wort into the primary fermenter I ended up with 3.5 gallons instead of the 2.5.
My question is did I mess up somewhere or is this recipe taking into considertion the trub in the bottom of the primary fermentor?

I started with 4.78 gallons during the mash and when I took out the grain bag it still seemed that there was alot of water left over. I am boiling on a kitchen stove so I don't know if that accounts for why I was a gallon over. I attached the brew steps below. Any advice would be great thanks.

Setup
Double check that all ingredients are on hand.
Make sure ice is on hand for ice bath, or fill up freezer trays.
Ensure all equipment is on hand (hydrometer, sanitizer, fuel, fermentor, kettle, air lock, hops bags, hoses, funnel, towel, etc).
Make sure valve is closed on brew kettle.
This recipe calls for 4.78 gal (19.1 qt) of water given the recipe and your equipment profile.
Fill kettle and begin heating strike water.
Add brewing salts as recipe calls for or to style.
Weigh out and mill grains if not already milled.
Clean workspace.
Prepare hops additions.
Take yeast out of fridge if using liquid ale yeast.
Mash
When strike water is ready, submerge grain bag and begin mash.
Place lid on kettle and ensure temperature is maintained.
Mash Step 1 - 154 F for 60 min, 2.5 gal, type: Infusion.
Mash Step 1 - Start mash timer, set for 60 min.
Mash Step 1 - Complete.
Mash complete, remove grain bag from kettle.
Boil
Expected pre-boil volume of 4.08 gal (16.3 qt) needed to hit batch size target.
Collect pre-boil gravity sample. Record the value when it has cooled down.
Fire the kettle and bring to a boil. Stir well as hot break occurs to avoid boil over.
Start boil timer, set for 60 minutes.
Add 1 oz of Crystal at 45 min.
Add 1 oz of Crystal at 15 min.
Prepare ice bath at 10 min.
Begin sanitizing lid of kettle at 10 min.
Boil complete. Flame out.I

just an fyi, if you wanting 5 gallons finished beer I set up my recipe for 5.5 in the editor, this accounts for the trub and transfer thief also when you brew all grain don't just go by time, go by volume and gravities so at the end of your 60 minutes I would have kept boiling until the correct volume was reached or taken a gravity reading to check if the starting gravity is reached

ok my OG was 1.05 and was supposed to be 1.069 so I should have continued the boil until I hit the OG?

yes so it will be a thinner and less alcohol beer than originally planed

Ok awesome thank you. Next time I think I'm going to go with 3.78 gallons when I have done that in the past I have made my 2.5 gallon mark. I thought 4.78 gallon starting was going to be too much or maybe I just have a lot to learn still.

Back