2nd Brewer's Edge batch - still tweaking sparge volume

dfj

Premium Member
Reaction score
<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/564492" frameborder="0"></iframe>

9.25 grain bill so I used 3.25 gallon (1.4Q per pound) mash
SINGLE MILL of Grains
Sparge volume calculation for 5.5 Gallon was 2.5 gallons (.75X 3.25) so I heated 3 Gallons to 172,
Brewer's edge calculations are off sparge volume - from brewer's edge manual
So hard to see 5.5 gallon mark inside brewer's edge

Still end up short by .625 gallons so added water to boil to make it 5.5 gallons. Next time I will boil an extra gallon.
Despite this I hit 75% efficiency so I don't think there was much sugar left in the grain.

Collect 1 gallon of wort and pour back on grain bed. Wait till in drains thru then sparge 1 gallon at a time till almost stops dripping then repeat add 1 gallon at a time

Last edited:
I tried with a gallon at a time, but couldn’t even hit 70%. Most of my grain bills are 12 lbs or so. I wonder if that’s the difference?

I tried with a gallon at a time, but couldn’t even hit 70%. Most of my grain bills are 12 lbs or so. I wonder if that’s the difference?
it may be. I tend to brew 4 to 6% beers its just what i like. It makes sense your grain bill is 33% larger so I would expert you would need 5 gallon sparge which is just way too much volume using the 1 gallon method

Hey, I brew what I like, too! :)

Reactions: dfj
I suspect the Brewer's edge will be popular. Anything we learn will help future users plus the engineer in me can't help but measure/analyse and verify.

Had a similar experience the first time using the water calculator. Only I ended up with too much sparge water. You just need to get your equipment profile dialed in. If you make recipe changes, remember to check water requirements again. Cheers :)

Back