2024 Second Quarter Brew

Well, almost...
Does this look reasonable?
Isn't it going to be far to bitter for me?

And question I keep forgetting to ask.
I understand the ibu etc for boil additions, but flame out, hop stand and dry hop?
Do you look at aa% or just at amount?
In my hop schedule, I looked at ibu for the fwh, and after that just the amount?

In the screenshot, the 15 minutes is hopstand as it will take me at least 15 minutes to get the wort temperature below 85 oC, if I go for my usual cooling.

And dry hop:
I read it as: dry hopping for 4 days?
Or should it be dry hop on day 4?
(I only did a dry hop once, for Ben's Bunyip)

(Screenshot doesn't want to load)

Dry hop is for 4 days, I put the dry hop in the fermenter as I transfer off the kettle. (But I generally keg at day 5) Anything late addition is purely for flavour so don't worry about AA and bittering. They're basically irrelevant. If it takes you 15 minutes to get below 85C just toss the hops in when you cut the heat.

If you look at my history I'm a pretty fly by the seat of my pants brewer and it works out most of the time, so don't stress to hard. Something vaguely mouth puckering in bitterness with a pine/citrus finish is all this beer aims to be. My taste buds are completely blown out so don't stress about it.

If you have a beer you've made before that is vaguely similar and you liked the bitterness just use that amount for FWH. FWH and boil addition are basically the same, you just get a bit more out of FWH and they don't foam over as bad. It's purely a preference thing.

What is your process with the flameout hop addition?
I use a counterflow chiller so I recirculate back to kettle until I see the outlet CF outlet temperature come down to pitch temperature then I begin transfer to fermenter. This may take 2-3 minutes, then another 2-3 minutes to complete the transfer to the fermenter. Maybe 5-6 minutes total contact time.
My typical hopstand is to reduce to 80C, then circulate for 20 minutes.

I toss them in the kettle, I use an immersion chiller though. Just do whatever your normal process is and it will be fine.

Ok, finally...
The screen shot is loading
My hops. Would this work?
Screenshot_20240413-073418.jpg

The beer (sessions IPA) I am currently drinking is 50 IBU, but it's only a 4% beer (bu/gu is 1.25)

bu/gu on Hawk's is 1.35
So I figure: lemne try... Ifit's to bitter, I'll dilute with local lager or sprite ;)

I like old school bitter IPAs so keep that in mind. But yeah, it's just a good baseline and something to build on.

I brewed @Hawkbox's Q2 brew today. I made it more of a Brewer's Friend brew by using some Sterling hops @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews grew and sent me. Since Sterling is a child of Cascade (which is used in the stand hop) I figured it should pair nicely. I did a 45 minute hop stand between 170°F & 145°F (63°C & 67°C). I don't often do hop stands so I guessed at the temperature & duration. I'm going to use US-05 because the LHBS did not have any Nova Lager.

Hawkbox 2024 Q2 boil.jpg

Nice!
I postponed mine.
I need to double check but I may still have some bry-97 and that may be better than voss.
It's cooling down, so I think I can start using my fridge again for temp controlled fermentation

All good either way.

Back