2024 Second Quarter Brew

Nice. I had an IPA planned for May/june. This is it!

Same, was planning one myself!
I like it Hawk, looks like a good one.
Hey, do you get any Muskoka beer out there?
Kind of sounds a bit like Mad Tom to me

Got the grains
Just gotta figure out what hops to use.
And what yeast.
If I manage to brew soon, I can still use voss. Not really neutral, but my others are Belgiums ....

Help...
I need help with hops
I can use Galena for bittering
Not enough Cascade and no Citra.
What could I use instead?
Screenshot_20240409-115718.jpg

I would split Galena and EKG as the late addition hops and dry hops and add your cascade to the dry hop

I would split Galena and EKG as the late addition hops and dry hops and add your cascade to the dry hop
So Galena + EKG at first wort and again at hopstand and dry hop?
Cascade is so little, it hardly counts, even for my small volumes

So Galena + EKG at first wort and again at hopstand and dry hop?
Cascade is so little, it hardly counts, even for my small volumes
You can still use Galena as the bitter hop. But for the late boil additions and dry hop I would use 50/50 Galena and EKG

You can still use Galena as the bitter hop. But for the late boil additions and dry hop I would use 50/50 Galena and EKG
Thanks
Hop problem solved :)

Thanks
Hop problem solved :)
Well, almost...
Does this look reasonable?
Isn't it going to be far to bitter for me?

And question I keep forgetting to ask.
I understand the ibu etc for boil additions, but flame out, hop stand and dry hop?
Do you look at aa% or just at amount?
In my hop schedule, I looked at ibu for the fwh, and after that just the amount?

In the screenshot, the 15 minutes is hopstand as it will take me at least 15 minutes to get the wort temperature below 85 oC, if I go for my usual cooling.

And dry hop:
I read it as: dry hopping for 4 days?
Or should it be dry hop on day 4?
(I only did a dry hop once, for Ben's Bunyip)

(Screenshot doesn't want to load)

Well, almost...
Does this look reasonable?
Isn't it going to be far to bitter for me?

And question I keep forgetting to ask.
I understand the ibu etc for boil additions, but flame out, hop stand and dry hop?
Do you look at aa% or just at amount?
In my hop schedule, I looked at ibu for the fwh, and after that just the amount?

In the screenshot, the 15 minutes is hopstand as it will take me at least 15 minutes to get the wort temperature below 85 oC, if I go for my usual cooling.

And dry hop:
I read it as: dry hopping for 4 days?
Or should it be dry hop on day 4?
(I only did a dry hop once, for Ben's Bunyip)

(Screenshot doesn't want to load)
How bitter is too bitter? An American IPA may not be for you.

The brewers friend recipe calculator will generate IBUs for whirlpool hops. You can adjust time and temperature for your system.

I would add the dry hops right before primary fermentation is complete, just disregard the recipe suggestion.

Yeah, how bitter is too bitter?
Don't know.
I liked the Bunyip...

Maybe I scale hops down a bit...

looks like I am off to the store.......................been wanting to try an IPA again. now that I have my oxygen issues sorted

Got the grains
Just gotta figure out what hops to use.
And what yeast.
If I manage to brew soon, I can still use voss. Not really neutral, but my others are Belgiums ....

Voss will probably work fine, Citra has a strong citrus note to it and in my experience so does Voss, just do it "cool".

Help...
I need help with hops
I can use Galena for bittering
Not enough Cascade and no Citra.
What could I use instead?
View attachment 29039

Anything you can get your hand on that is in the piney/citrus range will do the trick. Magnus is purely for bittering so any high AA hop. Galena or Perle would probably be more than adequate though the character will change slightly.

This is a pretty bog standard West Coast IPA circa 2009 so bitter and piney are your go to flavours.

Back