2 weeks after bottling and carbination is weak

CraigBarber

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello

Its been two since since i bottled and the carbination is weak as all hell. You can hear the Psfff when you open the cap, but once you pour it into a glass its got a bubble rate of like 1 bubble per second and there is no carbination feeling.

Is this normal? did i mess up the priming? do i really just need to wait longer?

Totally normal. Depending on how you primed them it can take 4-8 weeks.

If there is some carbonation, then it is working, needs more time

A few possibilities ; temperature wasn’t warm enough to carbonate in that time, not enough priming sugar, not enough yeast left (which is super unlikely) or if you added priming sugar to the batch it could simply not be even in all the bottles.

welcome to the forum!

Totally normal. Depending on how you primed them it can take 4-8 weeks.

If there is some carbonation, then it is working, needs more time
Exactly. You got something going on!

Welcome to the forum
I concur with above, maybe move it somewhere a bit warmer and leave it for another couple of weeks before trying one again.

Yeah, I'd make sure it's not too cold (68-74) and hive it more time. It is difficult to keep waiting, but it will turn out great.

Like others have said, give it more time. I've always felt that two weeks for bottle carbonation is an optimistic estimate. Four weeks is what always worked for me when I bottled.

Like others have said, give it more time. I've always felt that two weeks for bottle carbonation is an optimistic estimate. Four weeks is what always worked for me when I bottled.
i had very few batches that were ready in 2weeks

Welcome to the forum @CraigBarber
I always practice and preach patience, however, my bottles are usually carbonated within a week. This surprises me, considering that my bottles are kept inside the house where ambient temperatures are typically low 60’sF, at least during mid-Fall through mid-Spring. Your bottles might benefit from some warmth, so try keeping them in that 68-72F sweet spot for a few days to see if that helps.

For a normal gravity beer, it should be carbonated in 2 weeks. Yes, there probably was a boo boo with the sugar or the temps. 5 oz corn sugar should be around 2.5. Also, where on the bottle was it filled? I always liked longnecks so I could see where I was filling it.

For a normal gravity beer, it should be carbonated in 2 weeks. Yes, there probably was a boo boo with the sugar or the temps. 5 oz corn sugar should be around 2.5. Also, where on the bottle was it filled? I always liked longnecks so I could see where I was filling it.
why you use a filler wand. fill to the top, when you pull it out, the headspace is uniform

I never trusted the foam level. I always filled liquid to a certain spot on the neck. Hazard of my occupation, never trust until proven with back-up. Hopefully, OP bottle conditioned at fermentation temps too.

I never trusted the foam level. I always filled liquid to a certain spot on the neck. Hazard of my occupation, never trust until proven with back-up. Hopefully, OP bottle conditioned at fermentation temps too.
but that is the point of bottom filling with a wand. there is no foam

have had the same issue with carbonation. My batches were one gallon. Had to find the best solution and 2-3 weeks was all I needed once i got it stabilized. Over the holidays tried a few at 10 days with good results.
Using maple syrup and/or honey for 1 gal: Use 3 Tbsp (Maple Syrup or honey)/ 1/2 cup water heated to dissolved, mix this in 2.5-gallon bucket. Then siphon beer from your fermentation source (i.e. glass one gallon bottle). This helped me reduce the sediment in final product as well. Plus gives a really good mix up prior to bottling.
Also used Corn sugar; however, the flavor was not to my liking.

NOTE: Make sure you are using a quality Maple Syrup and/or honey. Some brands just do not seem to cut it! Best Honey is from farmers not the store. Not much difference just a personal preference.

Let me know if this helps. I am still learning and testing.

Last edited:
Point of using corn sugar is that it is completely fermentable and has no taste.
Highly doubt you are tasting 3tbls in 2.5 gallons after is it consumed by the yeast

Hello

Its been two since since i bottled and the carbination is weak as all hell. You can hear the Psfff when you open the cap, but once you pour it into a glass its got a bubble rate of like 1 bubble per second and there is no carbination feeling.

Is this normal? did i mess up the priming? do i really just need to wait longer?
Bottle conditioning can take longer depending on temperature also. You want it cool, but not cold. Room temp is good assuming that's 65-75 degrees. Any colder and the yeast take their sweet time.

Point of using corn sugar is that it is completely fermentable and has no taste.
Highly doubt you are tasting 3tbls in 2.5 gallons after is it consumed by the yeast

I wonder if it's the lack of maple or honey flavor that @TejasDMT didn't like rather than actually disliking the flavor of corn sugar.

Hi CraigB and welcome to the forum.

Can you give us some more details so we can better help you figure out where things could have gone wrong? Something created the "psfff" but....

How'd it taste.....other than flat?

How did you calculate your priming sugar and what did you use to prime?

Have you had successful carbing with the same crowns and the capper you used on this batch before?

Time is a factor but not everything, what temperature did you keep things at AND speaking of temperature, what sort of temperature swing did your batch see prior to bottling?

Interesting…. I am new by to this…. But ty so much for the feedback.

Back