(2) batches, same yeast, both stuck at 1.018.

Dornbox

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for some insight and or advice. So I’ve brewed 2 batches of beer recently, both the same recipe and yeast but with different hops. The two batches were brewed a few days apart with an OG around 1.059 but both have settled out at 1.018 (FG?) when the FG should be closer to 1.012. I’ve sampled the older of the two beers and there’s still a bunch of yeast in suspension but it looks like 1.018 is maybe what I got. Yeast was Sundew and both where mashed at 152°. Do I try to co pitch or something else or just let them ride until everything drops out and call it a beer regardless of FG? Both beers should be plenty warm and both a currently spunding. 1 is around 10psi and the other closer to 5psi. I started spunding both with 3 psi around 1.021-1.022 and gradually raised the psi. Neither beer is much over a week old but they have seemed to flatline. I’ve only had this happen to high very gravity beers in the past. Thanks.

Apparent attenuation looks to be 68%. I just checked the packaging and it is 72%-85%...

Can you describe the mashes more? Fermentation temps?* Grain bill?

*Not sure how much this effects pressure fermentations...

not sure I would call 1.018 stuck. 1.059 is pretty high gravity to get to 1.012. It may just be done

not sure I would call 1.018 stuck. 1.059 is pretty high gravity to get to 1.012. It may just be done

I hear that but 69% attenuation for a 5.5% abv beer from a yeast that should be closer to 72-85% seems oddly low. Especially with a middle of the road mash temp. But it certainly looks like you could very well be right.

@Minbari Although i did just have 3 batches of .058 beers go down to .001-.002 using 3711 yeast.

I haven't used that yeast, haven't actually heard of it to be honest. I don't see where you are stating your fermentation temperature. If warming it up a degree or two doesn't go out of the yeasts range, maybe try that. Only other suggestion I have is to let it be, and let it ride for another week.

Apparent attenuation looks to be 68%. I just checked the packaging and it is 72%-85%...

Can you describe the mashes more? Fermentation temps?* Grain bill?

*Not sure how much this effects pressure fermentations...
Pressure shouldn't affect fermentation much, if at all. My guess would be hot spots in the mash tun lowering fermentability.

I don’t see anything unusual on the recipe. The only thing I’m thinking is that you are using the Tilt to measure gravity. I know that the Tilt does not read very accurately at the end of fermentation when yeast and hop matter is stuck to it. So pull a sample and measure with a real hydrometer. However your fermentations do appear to be complete as evidenced by the flat line; Tilt is useful for that at least. You should be safe to package the beer now.

I don’t see anything unusual on the recipe. The only thing I’m thinking is that you are using the Tilt to measure gravity. I know that the Tilt does not read very accurately at the end of fermentation when yeast and hop matter is stuck to it. So pull a sample and measure with a real hydrometer. However your fermentations do appear to be complete as evidenced by the flat line; Tilt is useful for that at least. You should be safe to package the beer now.
Never had that happen on mine. They float at the top. Trub really doesn't collect on it. Co2 bubble can effect it early on

Never had that happen on mine. They float at the top. Trub really doesn't collect on it. Co2 bubble can effect it early on
Mine had read the same within 0.01 each time and usually the same.

@dmtaylor Mash was constantly circulating via RIMs and I spot check with a digital instant… plus it happened perfectly to two separate batches.

The Tilt certainly bobbles but usually within .001 for me. I’ve also confirmed the “FG” with a manual hydrometer.

I’m sure you’re right with the packaging, I’m crashing now and getting ready to transfer in a couple days.

hopefully it’s not too sweet. At 5.5% it might be just right in terms of body though…?

Last edited:

Back