2/3s gravity gone in three days?

jezo

Trial Member
Reaction score
The wort before boiling was 1.046, I have forgotten to measure it after brewing. That was late Saturday, by mid-Sunday it was at full swing with Safale US-05. I came back after three days later to find airlock pretty still. Measured today - 1.010. I think it's not normal, but can't see what I need to adjust right now. The temperature is 22C, nothing extraordinary. Following a series of setbacks with stuck fermentations, I have aerated the wort with a fishtank air pump before seeding the yeast, but I don't see how this could have speeded the fermentation so much. Should I let it be and, seeing no change in SG in three-four days, just prime and bottle? Or try and drive SG lower? I saved a bit of dry yeast, does it make sense to propagate this in a bit of wort and sugar and add to the barrel, seeing that 1.010 may be a bit high in case it decides to resume the game in the bottles?

The wort before boiling was 1.046, I have forgotten to measure it after brewing. That was late Saturday, by mid-Sunday it was at full swing with Safale US-05. I came back after three days later to find airlock pretty still. Measured today - 1.010. I think it's not normal, but can't see what I need to adjust right now. The temperature is 22C, nothing extraordinary. Following a series of setbacks with stuck fermentations, I have aerated the wort with a fishtank air pump before seeding the yeast, but I don't see how this could have speeded the fermentation so much. Should I let it be and, seeing no change in SG in three-four days, just prime and bottle? Or try and drive SG lower? I saved a bit of dry yeast, does it make sense to propagate this in a bit of wort and sugar and add to the barrel, seeing that 1.010 may be a bit high in case it decides to resume the game in the bottles?
Welcome Jezo.

Sounds like a regular fermentation with S05 to me man!
So a starting Gravity was 1.046 Fg 1.010
That gives you 78% apparent attenuation with So5 what averaging 75 on the packet with par for the course anywhere around 80%

I'd say you've got two points left at best me old mate.

Stick to what you've been doing everything is traveling along just fine.
Leave it another three days and bottle after a stable FG has been reached for a day or two.

Let us know what happens.
Cheers.

Should I let it be and, seeing no change in SG in three-four days, just prime and bottle?
Yes. It's normal for a healthy fermentations to complete in 3 days. It indicates to me that you pitched the correct amount of yeast. Dry yeast doesn't need to be aerated at pitch unless it's from a starter or re-pitched from a previous beer. Liquid yeast does need aeration at pitch due to low glycine and lipid reserves.

Leaving it set for another 3 days isn't a bad idea, it cleans things up and assures the yeast are really done. Your fermentation temperature was a bit high, if you lower your temp (18-19C), it will slow down the fermentation and produce a "cleaner" beer if you want that. If not, then ferment at 22C

Or try and drive SG lower?
No. Leave it be.

I saved a bit of dry yeast, does it make sense to propagate this in a bit of wort and sugar and add to the barrel, seeing that 1.010 may be a bit high in case it decides to resume the game in the bottles?
No. The yeast lands where it lands. Don't get too fixated on final gravities. Sometimes they land right where you want them other times not so much. 1.010 is a nice FG, any lower and the beer can get thin. Higher than that is not so bad as long as the yeast is done, but if it gets too high, it can start to become sweet.

Good job! Sounds like this one will be in the glass soon!

Sounds fine to me.
Ben calculated your attenuation, but yours is even higher as your SG was measured before boiling if I read it correct.
Let it stand for a bit. It's not going to do it any harm :)

You wanna have fun? Try kveik Voss at high temperatures. Done before 24 hours is gone :p

I agree with those above: Many of my ales ferment to stable Final Gravity in 3 days. I do let them continue another 2-3 days anyway, no harm and perhaps some good (Diacetyl rest)

I use Safale 05 and give it at least 10 days, and 18 days seems optimal. Don't sweat the air lock. I have had small leaks that stop activity, especially when I used buckets. Yes, the OG drops like a rock and then the last few points take another week or so. I now use clear ferment vessels and can see the activity and cap collapse is usually on day 8 with 05.

I came into brewing from cider making where three weeks (wild yeasts) is a bare minimum and somehow it stuck with me that a proper beer fermentation shouldn't be anything sooner. Thank you all for setting me right.

Welcome aboard @jezo! If you haven't found them already, there are a few cider threads on the forum. I'm sure your input would be appreciated.

US05.......2 1/2 days. ;)

SmartSelect_20230724_131226_Brewfather.jpg

My graphs never look that smooth. What settings do you use for your tilt's logging?
No smoothing other than what brew father does. They have a "smooth" view and "raw" view.

More like this?
SmartSelect_20230724_175743_Brewfather.jpg

Back