10 gallon batches

Yeah, that's what I normally do, it's more figuring out how to get the liquid volume for the boil out of it as it will obviously overflow if I try to do it in 1 batch sparge step.

I guess my thought on it is will I need to sparge multiple times? I feel like with that much grain I won't get enough water into the cooler in 1 batch. I'm not sure it's really an issue but it's got me at a pause.

Here's the way I'd do it:
- For 20 lb grain bill strike 30 quarts at proper temp...that's 1.5 quarts per pound. It should fill your tun to the top or nearly so.
- Mash for 60 to 90 minutes
- Heat 30 quarts to 170 degrees and 6 quarts to boiling (have it ready by end of mash)
- drain wort into boil pot (or into bucket for holding if your pot is full of sparge water). I'd pour the first few quarts back through for vorlauf.
- use the boiling water along with whatever amount you need of the 170 water to get to mashout temp
- hold at mashout temp for 15 minutes
- fill tun to top with remaining 170 degree water (you'll have about 6 quarts left over)
- vorlauf again to settle grain bed
- drain the sparge (slowly) into boil pot along with first runnings of wort.
- as the tun drains, carefully top it up with the remaining 170 degree water without disturbing your grain bed.
- you'll probably drain at least 60 quarts/15 gallons of wort into pot...you can just stop short you get to your known pre-boil volume.

Back