1 pack yeast V 2 pack ?

deeJay

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I do 23L batches, mainly hoppy hazy pale ales around 5.5%
Use 1 pk Verdant ipa yeast which does the job nicely but wondered if there is any benefit in adding another pkt ?
According to most packets pitching rate you should be adding 2 pkts
Is there any benefit to adding 2 pkts and will it have a big affect on the flavour ?
or is it generally 2pkts for higher abv beers ?
cheers.

Watch your lag times. If you see more that 12-14 hour lag times on an ale, you likely could use a little more yeast.

On the other hand, pitch rates are like hand grenades and the game of horse shoe, you only need to get close. If you getting a great beer by using one packet, but you lag time is 20-24 hours, no harm done. Some yeasts will do just fine in an under pitch condition, others won't do as well. Know the characteristics of the yeast by using it often and putting it through it's paces. S04 does really well in a slight under pitch. 2124 does better when slightly over pitched and cold.

Pitching more yeast will reduce lag time, potentially reduce ester production (which is desirable in a hazy) and the beer may hit terminal gravity sooner by a day or less. The bottom line is to use the proper amount of yeast. If it works well at 1 pack, you may not need any more yeast. You could always try it, if it tastes the same, then stick with a pack and save a few bucks.

One pack is plenty. Trust your experience. Don't trust the other 99% who only trust numerical calculators which are designed by yeast manufacturers to err conservative so they can sell more yeast.

Only time i have used more than one pack was when i was brewing an imperial.

Oxygen is important too! Biggest thing i did to improve lag time and get a healthy fermentation is buy an Oxygen tank

I have never used Verdant, but I suspect that 1 packet is plenty for your batch size.

Thank you all for your replies, very helpful, cheers.

And if you ever start using kveik....
Forget everything you thought you knew about yeast as it is a whole new ball game :)

And if you ever start using kveik....
Forget everything you thought you knew about yeast as it is a whole new ball game :)
Not wrong Zambi, done 2 batches with kveik, pretty quick.

Kveik actually doesn't mi d being under pitched, or maybe accurately, it may just have a lower required pitch rate...

Back