A word to the wise

Word to the Wise 3 on carbonation: Lagers can be packaged cold using the priming equations. They are saturated with carbon dioxide. Ales that have been cold crashed should be warmed to room temperature before priming, since they are likely not saturated with carbon dioxide. Moral: Control what you can, and priming is controllable.

A word to the wise: Don't treat a great tasting home brew like water, drink responsible or your job your relationship or your health could change, save great beer as much as you can lol

Don't order off the Internet when you drink too much home brew :) things just seem to good to be true lol

Make sure you have ALL your ingredients before you start brewing......

nzbrew said:
Make sure you have ALL your ingredients before you start brewing......

......... including propane in the tank

Turn burner/ stove top off at end of boil, then put wort chiller into hot wort. Burned the tubes on my dads wort chiller because I put it in with 5 min left in the boil and turned my back to get sanitizer ready.

buy 2 of every thing that breaks (thermometers, hydrometers, etc.) you will eventually need them.

Remember to respect the heat, boiling wort will take off your skin if spilled on you, trust me I know, 3rd degree burns on my hand, all healed now and I won't post pics. now I wear steam gloves and shoes not saddles :oops:

Sanitation, Sanitation, Sanitation...... you get the idea :D
No...Seriously

Did I mention sanitation? KISS (Keep It Sanitary, Stupid). Me, I generally forget to add my yeast before I oxygenate, thereby depriving my precious cells of some of the O2 they need to grow and thrive.

When you brew a beer that you just can't put down "because its just too good" put it down, and don't drink that one more before going to bed, you'll regret it in the morning

Russ said:
buy 2 of every thing that breaks (thermometers, hydrometers, etc.) you will eventually need them.

DEFINITELY!

I've had a hydrometer break before when I was going to rack to secondary. It sucked not being "sure" it was time but even worse was just the other night when I broke my hydrometer right before I took my 1st reading! My mash had already started and it was 8pm... Needless to say, I now have a beer fermenting that I have no clue what the actual OG is. I know where it is supposed to be but it was a strangely cold night and the mash temps were up and down to say the least.

Good news, the beer is fermenting and will definitely taste like beer. :)

Just the other night, I considered buying a second capper. What do you do when that breaks??

jeffpn said:
Just the other night, I considered buying a second capper. What do you do when that breaks??

When my capper broke I dug out every swing top bottle I could find. Some beer even went into my clear bottles :oops:

I think my only available option is to put it in milk jugs!

Delay bottling for a day (or week) while you get a new capper. Your beer will be better for it....

The beer would already be in the bottles.

Back