Forgotten Hop problem

Jhogan0101

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was making a heady topper clone today.
Here is the recipe i used.

All grain
14 3⁄4 lb Pale Ale Malt
6 oz Caravienne Malt

60 min boil
@30 mins
1oz summit
1/2oz chinook

@5 mins
1/2 oz summit
1/2 oz chinook
1 oz columbus
1 oz cascade

@ 0 mins
1/2 oz summit
1/2 oz chinook
1 oz centennial
1 oz columbus

The problem occurred @5 mins, i forgot to add in the 1oz cascade hops. Is there a way to include the cascade hops with the intended amount of flavor now while fermenting?

Your 5 minute hops won't add a lot to the bitterness - mostly flavor so you didn't hurt anything. The contribution to the flavor profile will be different if you throw them in as dry hop but will probably be better in some ways. Definitely throw them but wait until fermentation starts to slow.
Depending on what you're fermenting in, you can just dump the hop pellets right in the fermenter. If you really need to use a hop bag, just sanitize it beforehand.

What is done is done!
I am sure it will still be a good beer with one missed addition.

A Heady Topper clone is going to appreciate the dry hop. While JA mentions waiting until fermentation is finished, there's a whole bunch of experimentation in that beer with dry hopping during active fermentation. Depending on your yeast and your hops it may create a more 'juicy' flavour than you'd get from dry hopping after fermentation is complete. Though don't stress it, the dry hop will help, which ever way you do it.

As noted above, you might try dry hopping. Sometime after vigorous CO2 release has slowed (5-7 days after yeast addition), add the hops and leave for another 5-7 days. You'll get a very nice aroma boost.

I was making a heady topper clone today.
Here is the recipe i used.

All grain
14 3⁄4 lb Pale Ale Malt
6 oz Caravienne Malt

60 min boil
@30 mins
1oz summit
1/2oz chinook

@5 mins
1/2 oz summit
1/2 oz chinook
1 oz columbus
1 oz cascade

@ 0 mins
1/2 oz summit
1/2 oz chinook
1 oz centennial
1 oz columbus

The problem occurred @5 mins, i forgot to add in the 1oz cascade hops. Is there a way to include the cascade hops with the intended amount of flavor now while fermenting?
Since cooked hops don't taste the same as dry hops, here's what I'd do. Get some extract, make a half-gallon or so of wort at your OG, boil the hops in that wort for five minutes, then cool and add the mix to your fermentor. Assuming you're in the early stages of fermentation, the yeast will simply convert the wort to beer and you'll add your hop flavor.

Unless you're truly committed to as close a reproduction as possible I'd say just toss the hops in the fermenter.

Unless you're truly committed to as close a reproduction as possible I'd say just toss the hops in the fermenter.
My option was assuming fidelity. If it's not important, just do this.

Back