Where does your beer go

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just curious what you folks do with all of the beer you brew. I see some impressive brewing rigs that look like 5 or more gallons. That's a lot of beer to one man it.

Beer disposal parties. Sometimes unfortunately the drain. In my belly. Giveaways....

Drink some, give some away. For me, at this point, it's about coming up with 2 or 3 REALLY good beers of my own...I'll let you guys know if I get one. LOL

I switched to a 2.5 gallon system a few years ago. Just couldn't drink 5 gallons fast enough. I have a 2-tap keezer, so I usually have two on tap, one conditioning, and one fermenting at any given time. The 2.5 gallon system still gives me enough beer for parties.

Friends, family, coworkers. Someone is always looking for a free beer

Reactions: J A
I've cut back on my personal beer consumption and don't go through as much on my own but I always have a few taps running for family and friends who come over and I put a lot in cans now to share around. Having parties for 80 to 100 people a couple times a year - last party was 6 beers, 1 cider and 3 soft drinks on tap.

I share with family and friends, and drink the rest!

I keg 5 gallons every 2 weeks on average, and drink 90% of it myself. I know it sounds like a lot, but there are 40 pints in 5 gallons and that only works out to 2.571428571428571 pints per day for me. If you account for a couple of pints of sediment per keg, that reduces my consumption to a mere 2.428571428571429 per day, or barely enough to maintain my sanity. No wonder I need to buy beer too.

I keg 5 gallons every 2 weeks on average, and drink 90% of it myself. I know it sounds like a lot, but there are 40 pints in 5 gallons and that only works out to 2.571428571428571 pints per day for me. If you account for a couple of pints of sediment per keg, that reduces my consumption to a mere 2.428571428571429 per day, or barely enough to maintain my sanity. No wonder I need to buy beer too.

Thanks for doing the math for me Bob! Can I call you Elexa now?
In our house, 10 gallon batches, we both tip them so just shy of doubling that amount with more guests in the summertime and added research from the store. Closer to 4 pints per day. Why count anyway? Our 10 gal system barely keeps up with heavy brewing in the spring and late fall. Basicly, brew what you need to fit into your lifestyle.

Just a beginner, so I only have limited amount in the fridge.
And that's for me and some good friends, maybe
I's only about 10 liters at the time, 1 to 2 liters will be gone down the gullet for testing purposes (checking if the beer is ready yet) so they don't count. At least that's my excuse. So just 8 litres in a batch ;)
And that needs to tie me over till the next batch.
I have to admit to making a lot of cider from packs of apple juice on the left over trub. It's just soooo easy, and pretty much on par, or better than what I can get here

And I have to drink Grolsch swing tops to get more empty bottles

I drink a lot of it, but give away a significant amount as well. I haven't dumped a keg yet but I've considered a couple times, other friends happily took it and drank the whole thing.

I drink a lot of it, but give away a significant amount as well. I haven't dumped a keg yet but I've considered a couple times, other friends happily took it and drank the whole thing.
What do they say Hawkbox one man's junk is another man's treasure :p:p.
Maybe same applies to beer:rolleyes:.

5 Gallons is just about right for me, I'm trying to keep brew day a monthly event and I am always thinking about a rationing plan as I hit that second case. I don't think my consumption is heavy at all. I have a 12 oz bottle every week night and more on the week ends.

Usually the wife & I drink it up, but I will also serve friends when they come over or we end up at their place. I tend to brew a batch about every 4 to 6 weeks.

Back