Mash tun build

Still working on this. I bought a bazooka screen thinking I was going with a 10gal igloo. But now I am thinking box cooler. Does the bazooka need to cover the entire floor of cooler? I assume the larger the manifold, the faster it drains, but no effect on efficiency?

Krimbos said:
Still working on this. I bought a bazooka screen thinking I was going with a 10gal igloo. But now I am thinking box cooler. Does the bazooka need to cover the entire floor of cooler? I assume the larger the manifold, the faster it drains, but no effect on efficiency?

Depends on how you plan to sparge. With a batch sparge, your efficiency probably wont be effected as much, but if you plan to fly sparge, that bazooka screen will severely limit your ability to rinse the sugars efficiently. Look back in this thread to the manifold the Brew Mentor has. Perfect for a fly sparge.

Bit late to the party. I concur with many others -- picnic cooler and cpvc manifold. I opted for the Coleman Extrere 70 quart. Only complaint is that on small beers the grainbed can be a bit thin. Here's my manifold (bottom view)

manifold.jpg

I've seen the cooler at Walmart for as low as $35 on sale. Bits & bobs for the manifold were under $15. Fittings for the cooler maybe another $15.

anybody wanna buy an used bazooka screen???
:evil:

And it continues/ Had a great conversation with Brew Mentor yesterday and now I have decided to stay with my 5 gal cooler. (This was after I scored a 54 qt cooler for $5 on craigslist - still a good deal - will keep for future use)

So my question (again), is ...

Would bending this previously purchased bazooka screen to fit the smaller 5 gal cooler pose a problem?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IS ... UTF8&psc=1

I have OHB, but trying to manage costs

Pretty aggravated that I bought tube for $13 and a week later it was under $10

Oh well.....

it can get very expensive going all grain and keeping up with modern technology, I have way too much invested in my project going on 3 grand and climbing

Krimbos said:
And it continues/ Had a great conversation with Brew Mentor yesterday and now I have decided to stay with my 5 gal cooler. (This was after I scored a 54 qt cooler for $5 on craigslist - still a good deal - will keep for future use)

Good Talking with you the other day.
You can use the 54 qt. cooler as a HLT and gravity feed into your Igloo.
Then when you're not using it as an HLT, you can still use it for the family's cooler. :mrgreen:

Todays idea

What about a flexible copper water heater line? You can score along the ridges, and seal off the other end?

Seems easy enough? Or not a good idea?
92d4ee24-51d4-44b9-ab12-500ad4292548_400.jpg

Mentor

Is that because of potential lead?

Online consensus seems to agree that it is a non issue?

are you being a purist??? ;)

I agree, the copper is fine but stay away from brass in mashing temps, stainless, aluminum, copper, plastic are all I would use, only silicone no rubber seals

I've read that you can "prep" the brass to remove the traces of lead. I don't like the thought of anything that may leach into my wort. Also, have you ever tasted Beer poured through a brass faucet compared to the same beer poured though SS? Completely different.
Just my 2 cents.
Brian

Krimbos said:
Todays idea

What about a flexible copper water heater line? You can score along the ridges, and seal off the other end?

Seems easy enough? Or not a good idea?
92d4ee24-51d4-44b9-ab12-500ad4292548_400.jpg

If you are going to go through all that work and expense to get an inefficient copper tube with holes in it, why not just stick to the bazooka screen. It stainless, efficient, available, and already PAID FOR. Just saying.

Back