Is bottle carbed beer acceptable for entry into a beer judging contest?

Reaction score
I have two beers going into a beer judging contest, legit one. One was carved in a keg and therefore will be poured clean out of a bottle, the other will be carbed in bottles, that will leave a small amount of yeast on the bottom, would judges look down on that or is that ok knowing that this is a homebrewers competition. Has anyone done that?

Some styles, e.g. Belgians, will be more appropriate and could score higher with bottle-conditioning. The only time bottle conditioning can be a negative factor is with a lager or other beer that should be very clear. Sediment can be roused and take away from the appearance. Judges know how to handle the bottles though, and entries are usually stored cold for at least several days after they're received so they should settle down. Cloudiness due to sediment haze would usually only count a point or two off overall, so the impact wouldn't be much, anyway.

All my beers are bottle conditioned and I've won a few competitions, although I'd guess that here in the UK most competition entries are bottle conditioned. I wouldn't worry about it and depending on which yeast you've used a clean pour is perfectly achievable. Nottingham for example sticks hard to bottom of the bottle.

Most judges will check the bottle before pouring, you don’t get dinged for bottle conditioned beers. I know I always check so I’m not stirring up the yeast sediment.

Judges and steward know how to pour a beer, and there will be no difference in the judging of the beers. If you have two inches of sludge, that is not going to have great flavor but it's not because of the bottle conditioning.

Back