1st batch questions

CruzerDood

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Bottled my first 5 gal batch today, and have a couple of questions. Recently retired, and for something to do bought a BB kit. I'm using one of there Scottish Ale kits, 1 wk in bucket with last 2 wks in glass carboy. I've been a stickler on cleaning and sanatizing as i go along. Anyways started to bottle and got to #8 when my new capper decided to become 2 pcs. Luckily I have an old bench mounted one from the 50's or so that i was able to put to use. I checked the caps as I went along, and every once in a while one wouldn't be tight, you could turn it but it took some effort. I sat those aside and when finished bottleing rechecked and some had sealed, and the loose ones got recapped. Is this a common problem when capping? Will be getting a new capper this week, as i have 2 more kits and glass carboys waiting. Think I'm SOL on this? Thanks, Al

Never had a problem with either the red winged capper that came with my original kit or the bench capper I have now.
The quality may not be a good a sit was 10 years ago though. As for the bench capper, there are a couple of possibilities. If the bottles you're using aren't all the same it could be the height adjustment. Even a small variation in height could be a problem. The other is a badly worn cup, but that would likely not seal some and not others. If replacing the caps solved the problem it could just be that some of the caps were bad.

In any event, good catch.

Off subject, but--------------

Most of us have quit transferring our beers to secondary fermenters. The only time secondary is usually beneficial is to bulk age beer (over about 6 weeks, and a matter of opinion). Doing the entire ferment in primary is just fine for almost all beers. Lots of kit instructions still recommend secondary for whatever reason.
I know that it also frees up the bucket so you can get another batch going. BTDT

While I'm typing, might as well mention the danger of using glass carboys. There have been several really bad injuries reported by home brewers when their glass carboys broke either from dropping or from defects. Please be extremely careful when using them. As you begin to add to and/or upgrade your equipment, there are plenty of alternatives to glass.

Happy brewing!

Last edited:
The fact that some are capped poorly isn't a good sign. I'd suspect all of them. Check the crimper and other parts and see if it needs cleaning. A bit of rust or corrosion could keep it from pushing all the way down. It's a really simple mechanism and there shouldn't be any reason that it coldn't be made to function properly.
As for the secondary, while it's not necessary to do a transfer for the sake of the beer, it's usually safer and cleaner to have it sit in glass for a while rather than in the bucket if you're going to let it sit for 3 weeks. Another advantage is that you get to start another batch sooner because you opened up your primary fermenter.

Were these twist off bottles by chance? Twist off bottles won't work reliably with crimp on caps. Second issue could be the bottle neck configuration. In the pic, the bottle on the left is what I would consider the "normal" configuration and will work fine with the winged capper. The other two won't. The bench capper will work fine with the two on the left, but I'm not sure about the third. Haven't tried any of the bottles from the batch on the right (Hofbrau in Germany). Hope this helps and that I haven't muddied the waters too badly. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG0540[3916].jpg
    IMAG0540[3916].jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 139
Thanks Guys for replies. The bottles were all pop top, but I see what you mean in the pic showing neck types. The capper does have some roughness inside the cup, years of use, but was cleaned using fine sand paper, then steel wool. The reason for the glass carboys ( 3- 5gal ), about 4-5 yrs ago I was working with a guy who brewed his own. I was picking pieces of equipment now and then, then kind of went off in other directions. A couple months ago saw a kit in a box and thought I better just buy one or I wouldn't ever get started. Also started to read some forums, and they also mentioned no secondary. On a different note- my dad along with some uncles used to make "Home brew " when I was a kid. Probley wasn't refined taste wise, but they sure seemed to enjoy it! Thx, Al

I've never known it to be a problem for the caps to actually turn/spin on the bottles. I think key is, they are secure. Once they start to carb, the cap will tighten up.

Back