No Chill during cold winters

Aussies definition of cold is broken though.
Yeah Canandian Cold is a whole new meaning I've only heard about it no personal experience . I've never seen it snow BTW so me and cold dont mix:p.

Aussies definition of cold is broken though.
The Colorado definition of cold is when you inhale, your boogers freeze. Through the ski mask, of course.... ;-)

Yeah Canandian Cold is a whole new meaning I've only heard about it no personal experience . I've never seen it snow BTW so me and cold dont mix:p.
And Canadian cold just hurts.

But then, having been to Alaska in winter....

So I tested this out yesterday and thought I would share my experience in case anyone wants the info. I finished my boil at about 3:30pm and transferred the hot (1.126og) wort into my keg for the no chill. Went on with my evening, then when I got home at about 10:30 found the wort to be at 68°f (20°c). So, down to ale pitching temps in about 7 hours in 30°f (-1°c) weather.

Loved it, took out a good amount of my brewday timing and especially nice after a 4 hour boil :)

So I tested this out yesterday and thought I would share my experience in case anyone wants the info. I finished my boil at about 3:30pm and transferred the hot (1.126og) wort into my keg for the no chill. Went on with my evening, then when I got home at about 10:30 found the wort to be at 68°f (20°c). So, down to ale pitching temps in about 7 hours in 30°f (-1°c) weather.

Loved it, took out a good amount of my brewday timing and especially nice after a 4 hour boil :)
4 hour Boil! Wowsers penny!

Were you even able to measure the OG after or are you relying on calculations? :eek:

Edit: It's early. New OG should be about 1.115 (still high but not as insane as I thought.)

Still early? Double check that calculation
Assuming a batch size of 5.5 gallons, that calculation is correct.

Edit: I used the BF boiloff calculator.

Thought you might have used boiloff rates.
based on 5.0 gallon end volume for keg and barrel would be 1.1265. Seemed to match his 1.126

Thought you might have used boiloff rates.
based on 5.0 gallon end volume for keg and barrel would be 1.1265. Seemed to match his 1.126
This is correct, I ended with the 5 gallons that fits in the keg.

Were you even able to measure the OG after or are you relying on calculations? :eek:

Edit: It's early. New OG should be about 1.115 (still high but not as insane as I thought.)
Yes, I did measure with a hydrometer after it cooled.

This is correct, I ended with the 5 gallons that fits in the keg.

Yes, I did measure with a hydrometer after it cooled.
I need to work on my reading comprehension. I completely missed the post where you listed the OG :confused:

I'm the same, as well as sleep apnea and chronic migraines which when all three happening I'm like a horse with his head down walking in circles a "dead head"

Back