Whirlfloc Usage

I gave up on fining agents, WF IM gelatin or whatever the latest and greatest is, about a year ago. I am not sure I have ever been a victim of the deadly chill haze, or any other over reaction to less than crystal clear beer. There are certain levels of clarity I expect from different yeast strains, but that's it. If WF adjusts the pH....another reason not to bother.

If WF adjusts the pH....another reason not to bother.

It has a very small affect on pH, for the most part insignificant. I don't want to give people the idea that it has a big impact on pH. Overdoses may see a greater rise, but it's still not a huge deal. Like I said before, overdosing with whirlfloc or any ingredient usually ends up not working very well.

If you choose not to use clarifiers like whirlfloc, that's fine. It's the misunderstanding and/or wrong ideas about it that bothers me.

A couple of days ago I was making a three gallon beer. Based on the beer lore I'd always heard that you don't have to be precise with whirlfloc measurement, I just chucked a tablet in. It fizzed as always, dispersed and I finished my boil. I was very surprised to find that my wort's pH had RISEN in the boil (not supposed to happen that way). Searching my mind and notes for reasons that it may have happened, I came back to whirlfloc. Yes, it's refined carageenan but it also contains baking soda to disperse it, hence the "fizz". A tablet weighs about 2.4 grams, so I was adding a lot of alkali back to my acidic wort, resulting in a higher pH after the boil than before.

So being the science and engineering-minded guy I am, I did the math. I weighed 10 Whirlfloc tabs to get an average of 2.4 g/tab, most sites recommend a tab for 10-15 gallons of wort, so I used 10, or 0.24g Whirlfloc/gallon (divide by 3.875 to get grams/liter). Then I checked the BSG site for Whirlfloc T: They recommend 2 tablets per barrel, 31 US gallons. Using that math, I came out with a safe figure of 0.2 g/gallon.

Why is this important? Beer pH is an important determinant of its flavor. Yes, the yeast will lower the pH but I've always read that the pH going into the fermentor should be between 5.0 and 5.3. The overdose of Whirlfloc got me to about 5.6. So in the future, I'll be crushing the Whirlfloc tab, measuring by weight what I need to add and using that amount to minimize the pH increase.

Hope this is useful to you!
I use .5 of a Whirlfloc tablet in 23 litre batches and then fine with .5 teaspoon of gelatin..............works a treat.

also the ph is more important in the mash not the boil, you can add Baking Soda to increase the ph in the boil if needed

A couple of days ago I was making a three gallon beer. Based on the beer lore I'd always heard that you don't have to be precise with whirlfloc measurement, I just chucked a tablet in. It fizzed as always, dispersed and I finished my boil. I was very surprised to find that my wort's pH had RISEN in the boil (not supposed to happen that way). Searching my mind and notes for reasons that it may have happened, I came back to whirlfloc. Yes, it's refined carageenan but it also contains baking soda to disperse it, hence the "fizz". A tablet weighs about 2.4 grams, so I was adding a lot of alkali back to my acidic wort, resulting in a higher pH after the boil than before.

So being the science and engineering-minded guy I am, I did the math. I weighed 10 Whirlfloc tabs to get an average of 2.4 g/tab, most sites recommend a tab for 10-15 gallons of wort, so I used 10, or 0.24g Whirlfloc/gallon (divide by 3.875 to get grams/liter). Then I checked the BSG site for Whirlfloc T: They recommend 2 tablets per barrel, 31 US gallons. Using that math, I came out with a safe figure of 0.2 g/gallon.

Why is this important? Beer pH is an important determinant of its flavor. Yes, the yeast will lower the pH but I've always read that the pH going into the fermentor should be between 5.0 and 5.3. The overdose of Whirlfloc got me to about 5.6. So in the future, I'll be crushing the Whirlfloc tab, measuring by weight what I need to add and using that amount to minimize the pH increase.

Hope this is useful to you!
Thats interesting! I have been brewing since 1985? and have always tossed one whirlfloc tab into all my 5 gallon batches. Im still alive, my beer still tastes great so I probable won't change anything. Thanks for the info!!

I really noticed it when doing a three-gallon batch. I chucked in a whole tab, then noticed my wort pH had increased quite a bit (0.2 points). Now I know what it's doing, why my wort pH is coming out higher than my mash pH (should be the other way around) and can adjust. Based on the data sheet for Whirlfloc T, a quarter tab is adequate for a 5 gallon batch at 1.040 SG.

I generally toss 1 tab into a 10 gallon (well 42L) batch and it's close enough for the girls I go with.

That beer is definitely taking longer to clear. I've had it at cold-crashing temp for over a week and it's not as clear as it usually gets in that period of time. I used WLP810 on this batch which flocs at least as well as the S-23 I usually use so I expected it to d pretty well.
The beer did attenuate very well for the strain - 82%. It was a big over-pitch and I over-oxygenated it so it wasn't the perfect fermentation, lagging forever and taking a long time to finish out (lesson learned) and the resulting flavor is more confused than I would anticipate.

My recent brew followed a similar path where it took a lot longer to ferment out. It never really "bubbled" as previous brews had - I put that down to end of term yeast (only discovered after I had pitched it) so I pitched again with another, fresher packet and - this is what has me thinking - I tried out my new air pump through an Air Stone. Maybe I over oxygenated it as you hinted at. This makes it difficult to know just where I went wrong. Another brew done a different way is calling me. This time I will use ultra fresh yeast and no bubbles.

My recent brew followed a similar path where it took a lot longer to ferment out. It never really "bubbled" as previous brews had - I put that down to end of term yeast (only discovered after I had pitched it) so I pitched again with another, fresher packet and - this is what has me thinking - I tried out my new air pump through an Air Stone. Maybe I over oxygenated it as you hinted at. This makes it difficult to know just where I went wrong. Another brew done a different way is calling me. This time I will use ultra fresh yeast and no bubbles.
You really can't over-oxygenate with an airstone unless you're running pure O2 through it..
I generally toss 1 tab into a 10 gallon (well 42L) batch and it's close enough for the girls I go with.
One tab in ten gallons isn't that far off. Data sheet dosage is 2 tabs per American barrel (31 gallons).

One tab in ten gallons isn't that far off. Data sheet dosage is 2 tabs per American barrel (31 gallons).
The dosage on the label says 1 tablet per 5-10 gallons. That's clearly an overdose. I guess they sell more if they urge brewers to use more. o_O
I've started doing 1 tab for a 10 and a broken in half tab for a 5 but I might start grinding and measuring since even that is more than is stated in the data sheet.

The dosage on the label says 1 tablet per 5-10 gallons. That's clearly an overdose. I guess they sell more if they urge brewers to use more. o_O
I've started doing 1 tab for a 10 and a broken in half tab for a 5 but I might start grinding and measuring since even that is more than is stated in the data sheet.
The only thing that concerns me is the pH rise from the bicarbonate in the Whirlfloc. Otherwise overdosing can't really hurt ane i could compensate for it with acid.

Reactions: J A
The only thing that concerns me is the pH rise from the bicarbonate in the Whirlfloc. Otherwise overdosing can't really hurt ane i could compensate for it with acid.
I have not found anywhere that suggests whirlfloc contains a bicarbonate as a binder, it seems more likely they use a starch as binder.

1 tablet for 5 gallons raises the pH .1 point at best, maybe even less. If you have a good handle on your pH, it's not even worth paying it any attention. It's a "non-issue". If you believe whirlfloc has a bicarbonate binder then switch to good old fashioned Irish moss.

1 tablet per 10 gallons is a reasonable dose, 1 tablet for 5 gallons is fine too. 1 tablet in 2.5 to 3 gallons is a slight overdose, so split the tablet. A little extra carregeenan in your wort is harmless.

Last edited:

Back