Whirlpooling and no krausen?

doesn't matter where you live the earth rotates the same direction, even in china :D
I've tried it both ways and counterclockwise is twice as fast for me anyway

doesn't matter where you live the earth rotates the same direction, even in china :D
I've tried it both ways and counterclockwise is twice as fast for me anyway

I think it's coriolis effect that's happening for this and it's opposite directions in north and south hemispheres. Bugger all effect at the equator getting stronger as you go down to the poles.

I think it's coriolis effect that's happening for this and it's opposite directions in north and south hemispheres. Bugger all effect at the equator getting stronger as you go down to the poles.
Yes, but the net torque based on the rotational speed difference between the north and south end of a brew kettle (or toilet for that matter) is so small that almost any force is greater than Coriolis. Really only matters at pretty large distances.

Taking the rotation of the earth into account for brewing beer, nutty!

I haven't had that happen to me yet and I've been whirlpooling for 3 years so far. Currently my keggle's dip tube is only a half inch above the bottom center and I get all into the fermenter besides maybe a half cup to a pint. I'm debating if I should reconfigure it to pick up from the side so it'll be a bit less trub and make the whirlpool a bit more worthwhile as far as hop sediment into the fermenter. What I've been doing so far has been working so I'm a bit hesitant.

Back