Mash calculator naming mismatch

Brewer #58631

Trial Member
Reaction score
I discovered a field name discrepancy during my last brew session. In the brew session in the mash calculator under strike water, there is a field called "ambient temperature." I thought this meant outside temperature. But, after talking with friends and using the mash calculator under the calculators, it seems this is supposed to be the grain temperature. Is this correct?

Also could you change the strike water ambient temperature to read grain temperature to avoid confusion?
Thanks

Ambient temperature is the temperature of the air around you.

I get that ambient means surrounding or outside temp. I'm not sure how the calculation works out. When I put the outside temp in this form below, it calculated the strike water temp needed to be a lot hotter than needed.
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.54.31 AM.png

What I'm trying to figure out is if this is any different than this form here https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/
Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 10.55.26 AM.png

They do the same thing: figure out volume of strike water and the temperature to heat it to.

did you look at the instructions below the page?

Yeah I saw that. I'm not trying to make a big deal about this because I know the calculator won't give an exact number plus I can heat to an exact temperature with a propane burner and dial thermometer. I'd have to get a computer controlled system to be really exact.

I was confused when I looked at the mash calculator after looking at the mash tab strike water because the mash calculator uses grain temp and the strike water tab uses ambient temp

I got to the point where I just heated my water to 7°F warmer than my mash temp, and I was right on most times.

Back