Turn off brew steps completely / wasted vertical space

FlatFish

Premium Member
Reaction score
I see that I can now disable individual brew steps I don't use. However, I don't use the brew steps feature and I would like to not have the brew steps UI visible at all on the brew session screen. Even after I disabled all brew steps from my profile, there's still one brew step left that I can't disable (set boil timer).

I would like to be able to hide the brew steps bar. It's wasting the little vertical space I have.

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing on the PC (linux/Chrome). How do I get rid of the large Steps bar that sticks to the bottom of the Brew Session?

brewsess.png

Last edited:
I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing on the PC (linux/Chrome). How do I get rid of the large Steps bar that sticks to the bottom of the Brew Session?

View attachment 2034

That drives me crazy too- especially on my netbook where it takes up half the space. I've brought this up, and I know it's being worked on, but I'll mention it again!

I think a simple X on the corner to close it and cache it with a cookie would work

Here's a work-around I'm using for now: I created a bookmark in chrome with the following as the url:

javascript: (function() {document.getElementById("timerContainer").style.visibility="hidden";})();

Clicking on the bookmark while viewing your brew session will hide the steps bar. You'll have to do that every time you visit the page, or when the page reloads.

Disclaimer: don't run javascript from random people on the internet unless you understand what it's doing. Also, this could possibly break other things in the page / not work.

We've fixed this! If you don't want to use this feature, there’s a new setting at the bottom for “Hide Brew Timers”. If you set that to “Yes”, it *should* hide the timer area on the brew session pages.

Great, thank you! In case anyone else is looking for it, the new setting is under Profile -> General Settings

That setting works in Firefox on the Desktop, but doesn't work in Safari on an Ipad.

can you clear your cache and close the browser then open and try again?

Nice addition. The timer and the way it coincides with the brew steps has always been a bit clunky and frustrating. I've gotten to where I set all my timers with my google home. I just tell it how long to set each timer for while I'm brewing, and for me it's just been much easier to use an external and easier to hear.

I have a built-in timer on my control panel with a loud alarm and a hand held that I sync to it for when I'm away

Back