BIAB

In theory would it be possible to make a batch in a 24litre pot still using the full 9.34kg grain bill?

Off the top of my head, I'd think the mash would be way too thick if you did it all at once.
You might be able to do it but efficiency is going to suffer

Off the top of my head, I'd think the mash would be way too thick if you did it all at once.
You might be able to do it but efficiency is going to suffer
Yeah that's what I thought too. Just need confirmation from you big boy brewers! Cheers pal!

Get a bigger pot! I brew in a 50lt keg And I ain't even done that large a mash in grist! Gee wiz your adventurous first thing is efficiency will be down on that tight a mash so it won't be cost effective... Plus physically youL be peed off trying to stir and sparge that tight sparge. Listen to the other Brewers on here save yourself the I to,d you so and re design your brew:). Or get a BIGGER POT;)...

Get a bigger pot! I brew in a 50lt keg And I ain't even done that large a mash in grist! Gee wiz your adventurous first thing is efficiency will be down on that tight a mash so it won't be cost effective... Plus physically youL be peed off trying to stir and sparge that tight sparge. Listen to the other Brewers on here save yourself the I to,d you so and re design your brew:). Or get a BIGGER POT;)...
Thanks man. I was just spitballing. I like the theory, experimentation and thought processes behind all the different brewing methods. I didn't have any intention of actually attempting to brew a 10kg grain bill in a 24 litre pot but I wanted to find out the more about the science behind it and others experiences and knowledge. I thankyou for you input and advice, My friend. And I love the fact that you're all so willing to give that advice and guidance! This site is awesome!

There is a process called " reiterated mashing " where you use half your grain bill in the first mash and then lift and drain the bag then dump spent grain, drop rest of grain into the now enzyme laden liquor and run a second mash .
Eff % will still take a big hit as your wort will be close to saturated with sugars and hop utilisation will go out the window during boil

There is a process called " reiterated mashing " where you use half your grain bill in the first mash and then lift and drain the bag then dump spent grain, drop rest of grain into the now enzyme laden liquor and run a second mash .
Eff % will still take a big hit as your wort will be close to saturated with sugars and hop utilisation will go out the window during boil
Good to know, cheers! Love all these knowledgeable brewers sharing their wisdom! Amazing!

That's interesting! Because the recipes I've read say Not to squeeze and I always wondered why not.....
I'm a massive fan of high abv beers. I think the next beer i want to do is a Imperial Stout. Something soul-searingly dark!
I squeeze the life out of my bag:D

One thing I learned my first time biab is to get or make a false bottom for your kettle. I used one of these. Snapped the pin and legs off and flipped it upside down.
uy203.jpg

That's interesting! Because the recipes I've read say Not to squeeze and I always wondered why not.....
I'm a massive fan of high abv beers. I think the next beer i want to do is a Imperial Stout. Something soul-searingly dark!
I am getting about 69-70% eff from my biab by squeezing but also having my old 5gal pot to put my bag in when I pull it. I will pour hot water over the bag and use it like a sparge. Open it up over the edges of the kettle and pour and stir. I use a large slotted metal spoon to disperse the water and to stir the mash. rösle-skimmer.jpg
Then I squeeze the life out of it!!

I am getting about 69-70% eff from my biab by squeezing but also having my old 5gal pot to put my bag in when I pull it. I will pour hot water over the bag and use it like a sparge. Open it up over the edges of the kettle and pour and stir. I use a large slotted metal spoon to disperse the water and to stir the mash. View attachment 1824
Then I squeeze the life out of it!!
I must have the same book as someone else on here, because I read that squeezing the bag risks extracting tannins.
Has anybody experienced that, or is it time to ditch that advice and get squeezing!
Fwiw, I also do a kind of mini sparge. I use a colander to get a bit more even water distribution through the mash though.

I squeeze every time i dont taste no tannins or sour puckering tartness.

Mill your grain finner than usuall and youll get better efficiency but be careful on sparge as it is quite thick.

Ive just recently go a large bucket with holes drilled in bottom it fits nicely inside hole cut.in top of keg. I put grains in there and sparge through this.

84% last brew so happy chappy with that.

Use two bags. After you swap, dunk sparge the first bag in a smaller pot. Better yet, boil it for a decoction. You've got an hour to kill while the second bag is in mash.

I must have the same book as someone else on here, because I read that squeezing the bag risks extracting tannins.
Has anybody experienced that, or is it time to ditch that advice and get squeezing!
Fwiw, I also do a kind of mini sparge. I use a colander to get a bit more even water distribution through the mash though.
Nothing yet. I have not been brewing for very long so take it for what its worth.

Squeeze that bag for all its worth! You want to extract every drop. This will allow you to adjust your water volumes in the future so that they come out just right.

In my opinion - and I almost eclusively BIAB - a full volume mash is always best, easiest and quickest. I have a 9 gallon kettle ( i think that's thirty seven million litres) and it will do FVM with up to 10 pounds of grain for a five gallon batch. I can do that on the stove top. The kettle is 14 inches tall. If the grain bill is more than that, I will EITHER move outdoors and use propane with a 16 gallon kettle OR scale the recipe back to somewhere between 3 and 4 gallons. There are folks that will do a 'dunk sparge with BIAB where they set aside the water volume that would otherwise spillover, and dunk the spent grains in it for a final rinse. I find that messy and sticky. I personally would rather have four gallons than schlep that water around.

5 gallon kits divide nicely into 2 half batches and work in a 5 gallon kettle. IMO.

There is a free online calculator that works well for understanding water volume needed. Plug in your boil off rate and kettle dinensions .. google 'priceless biab calculator'.

As far as squeezing, the only reason to do it is that you missed your desired wort volume or your pre-boil gravity. So if your calc says you need 6.25 gallons at 1.036, but you get 6 at 1.034, then squuze away.

A good bag is a true blessing. I get mine from a guy named Mike Wilser. He is an excellent bag tailor. Never had one wear out. I think you can google wilserbrewer

. I have a 9 gallon kettle ( i think that's thirty seven million litres)
Close. It's actually thirty seven million liters. Or maybe you have squirrles in your neck of the woods!

Back