First time kegging

Yeah so trial and error with this batch, as stated i will follow the instructions of the post above in future, i have the psi up for a further 12 hours then ill recheck :)
The most common way to carb is to just leave it hooked up to the CO2 with the regulator set to the proper PSI for desired volumes. It may take a week, but it absorbs the proper amount that way.The only reason to burst carb is to speed up the process. It's impossible to overcarb when you use the "set and forget" method...but you have to wait.

if you brew ahead and have plenty of beer to drink its best to set the pressure at 12 and just leave it for 7 to 14 days, the beer will be cold and clear and carbed at that point and very drinkable. force carbing depending on the way you do it can cloud up the beer and add impurities to it, not bad tasting but things that normally will fall to the bottom over time and make it a cleaner taste, just my 2 cents

How can burst carbing add impurities? The keg is sealed at that point, with nothing able to get in, except for CO2, which is the case either way you carb. Shaking the keg does, of course, mix all the sediment in the beer, but it will fall back out.

Don't know if I'll have the patience to set and forget first kegs , it'll be burst carved for sure !

It still takes a little patience.;)
Burst carbing, at least the way I do it (no shaking; not filling charging through the dip tube), basically just makes the beer suitable for sampling within a couple of days. Even after it's carbed up, it still needs to settle and clear. The CO2 becomes more absorbed, too after it sits at pressure so that the bubbles are smaller and head retention is better. And every beer benefits from 2-3 weeks aging. Some don't really come into their own until 6-8 weeks. Before that, they're good, but there's no doubt that the last pint is far superior to the first. :)

Yep that first keg or two for sure is burst carbed. Hey but if you want to sample that brew real quick use the carb cap on a pet bottle up the regulator pressure to 30psi and shake like crazy. Then leave for an hour come back and guzzle away :p. I've sampled straight out the fermentor before packaging to get an idea of how the beer will turn out and whether or not to keg or bottle.

Back