(DONE) Add ml as an option

perogi

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Howdy! Me again. This one should be a lot easier :)

For the Other Ingredients section in the recipe creator, I think it would be a good idea to add "ml" as an option in the amount drop down. My water is quite soft so I need to add lactic acid to get the pH down.

Thanks!
perogi.

Re: Add ml as an option

Understood. It does require extra unit conversion functions, options in the shopping list and inventory, and probably a few other places (oh, BeerXML export), but it makes sense!

I noticed that if you use the metric system, "L" is an option.

I can imagine that since you implemented the ability to switch from imperial to metric (and back) that adding "mL" might add a level of difficulty to the translation.

So take my idea with a grain of salt. Maybe I will have to learn to measure stuff in kg :)

Thanks again for reading!
perogi.

EDIT: wow you replied quickly!

Thanks, yeah I'm on the computer a lot and I like to keep the inbox clean... ;)

It is good to leave these items open for awhile to let others comment too. There might be a half dozen units that would be helpful, and it makes more sense to knock them out all at once.

LarryBrewer said:
It is good to leave these items open for awhile to let others comment too. There might be a half dozen units that would be helpful, and it makes more sense to knock them out all at once.

Agreed - thank you for considering my request!

Ml is milliliter, a thousand of a liter. The conversion is really simple, 1/1000 = 0,001L = 1 ml. I don't mean to be an asshole, but feature overload is bad (more stuff to fix, more stuff to go wrong, more stuff to understand as a user).

Tore said:
Ml is milliliter, a thousand of a liter. The conversion is really simple, 1/1000 = 0,001L = 1 ml. I don't mean to be an asshole, but feature overload is bad (more stuff to fix, more stuff to go wrong, more stuff to understand as a user).

I have to disagree with your assessment - adding a new option for a measurement isn't feature overload - it makes sense when we are measuring items like lactic acid. You are certainly not going to add 1 L of lactic acid to a mash or sparge water.

In addition, using your logic we shouldn't have oz as a measurement because 1 oz is 1/16th of a pound. Or more in tune with the metric system don't have g as an option because it's 1/1000th of a kg.

If the devs think that it would be difficult to implement or maintain, that's definitely a concern and I'm more than happy to remove my request. But thinking that a user is going to get confused because there's L and mL in an option list is a stretch.

Thank you for reading,
perogi.

Seems like g/kg and ml/l make perfect sense. Just like oz/lb or oz/gal. Expecting someone to enter 0.0625 lb instead of 1oz wouldn't make sense right? Or how about 0.039 gal instead of 5 oz? Point being if you need to measure ml then that's a better unit than decimal equivalents of liters.

Re: (NEXT RELEASE) Add ml as an option

Next release will get milliliters in the other amount drop down on the recipe editor.

Milliliters are now an option in the drop down in the other ingredients section.

Back