Bottle Priming With Domino Sugar Dot Cubes

dharmadog

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have been using Domino brand Sugar Dot cubes (0.08 oz per cube) to bottle-prime my bottles for the last several 5-gallon extract brews.

After conditioning for several weeks, I am seeing adequate carbonation and good head when I open the bottle and pour the beer into a glass. So it appears that the the amount of sugar in each bottle is just right for the ales I have made.

However, I am concerned that when I drop the sugar cube into the neck of the bottle, and then fill the bottle from my bottling bucket, the sugar cube just sits in the bottom of the bottle and dissolves in the bottom and does not get thoroughly mixed.

So my question is: Should I agitate or turn over the bottles after capping to mix the dissolved sugar cube, or will the sugar naturally get mixed during the bottle conditioning time?

since things seem to be working out as is, i wouldn't bother with agitating the bottles after capping. just the movement of capping them, putting them into a cardboard case, putting them in the pantry to carbonate, and then moving to the fridge should be enough to mix things around

i think it'd be different if you were filling a much, much bigger bottle (like, gallons big), but even then it'll probably get mixed in eventually

Thank you jmcnamara, I will continue with what I am doing.

The Domino Sugar Dot cubes do add a level of simplicity to priming the batch; no boiling water to dissolve sugar, no stirring the sugar into the bottling bucket, and no worries that there will be different levels of sugar solution inside the bottling bucket.

Cheers

Funny, I never thought of using those.

i have used a local brand of sugar cube for priming , from memory they all carbed up just fine
i now use a few different size bottles so bulk priming was an obvious move

Back