First beer(s) of 13?

Altbier bitte

Trial Member
Reaction score
I finally got off my lazy ace and brewed my first for the year. It's an APA (5 Gall) with 6# 2-row, 4#Munich, 8 oz Caramunich, Amarillo hopped. Going to crush grain for a mild in a few minutes, probably brew it tomorrow night. I'm calling it Por-Mo mild - it's going to be hopped with Pride of Ringwood and Motueka. MO, Munich, brown and amber malts, light and dark caramel malts, a dash of Carafa 2 for color, and a secret ingredient. Don't ask. It comes in a few IBUs over BJCP standards, but otherwise it's within the (admittedly arbitrary) limits. My first mild. It's probably too hoppy to be authentic, but it should be a pretty flavorful session beer at ~ 3.5% ABV. I'm going to take a chance on Danstar Windsor Ale yeast, despite some negative reviews - I've got a couple pouches, so what the heck. Who has or will soon have brewed in the new year?

Your late to the game Altbier, I had an English IPA in the BK as the year changed over. As I took my O.G. reading after midnight, my brew notes reflect the date as 1Jan13 @1:05am. I also brewed a maibock last Friday and am planing for a Scottish 80 (or 90 as I tend to go big) scheduled for this weekend.

Get busy living or get busy dying.

Just bottled my last brew of 2012 last night, and will brew my first of 2013 on Friday.
Not sure exactly what I will brew on Friday, but the brew I bottled last night already tasted sooooo good, that I will almost certainly be using the same hops again. (brand spanking new german variety :cool: )

I have only brewed once for a clinic on Saturday 1-5-13. It's a Belgian Dark Strong. It wasn't my choice so I may brew a small (5 Gal) batch in the store today.
I'm thinking a Cream Ale, AG BIAB style and no chill because I'm lazy!
I can brew that start to finish in under 3 hours. And take care of customers :mrgreen:
Brian

gonna try to brew my first lager (first double decoction too) (a German Helles) this month. just bottled an Irish Red Ale, which came in at 7% abv.

Put the Schwarzbier in the fridge prior to departure for the holidays. First actual brew in 2013 is the "Weedwhacker." It's chugging away in the basement as we speak.

I did a 5 gal batch of AG "Homer Simpson" Pale Ale Sunday......Ummmm Beeeer!

Dave,

Altbier bitte said:
Conservidave said:
I did a 5 gal batch of AG "Homer Simpson" Pale Ale Sunday......Ummmm Beeeer!

Dave,
Is that the SkittleBrau?

Lol, i honestly dont know... i made some bottle labels at the coopers web site with a Homer picture on the label
everyone got a kick out of them and the homer thing just kinda stuck. Hmmmm skittle's for flavoring :idea:

Back