I can't get my brews to taste of hops

Used ball-lock kegs are $39, a 5-lb CO2 tank, filled, is about $80, regulator for same about $40 (can vary: Try for a 2-gauge type, with a knob to adjust instead of a screw), some picnic taps and some gas hose and connectors (Under $30 for all)...and that's about it. A used fridge is a perfect start, or a smaller (7 cu-ft) chest freezer (ideally used, new are under $250) with an Inkbird controller ($30) and you are good to go for quite a while.
I think some of your draft equipment estimates are a little low...brand new CO2 tanks come empty, filling it is around $20, and regulators around $70 for a single body. Of course if you can find it all used, then that's even better. I bought a kegerator that came with a tank and regulator, but I didn't trust the regulator in the condition it was in and bought a new one anyway (high pressure is risky business).

@Brewer #195813 there's a good sale at keg connection right now where kegs are half off if you buy a regulator and accessories. There kegs are always solid.

Also if you're gonna keep posting on the forum (and I hope you do!) You might want to consider a more memorable user name. There's lots of brewer #'s on here :)

At risk of making a ghastly innuendo, I'm into anything that involves shiny metal, from mountain bikes to brewing equipment, so a conical fermentor is very appealing.

In the last few days I've completely embraced the idea of going full keg. Anything to reduce oxygen contact, and it'll re-ignite my passion for beer and brewing. It'll get me obsessing over recipes again, instead of throwing expensive hops in and always getting the same result.

So yeah, a conical fermentor or Fermzilla, and I'll buy an affordable kegerator. The wife will probably loose her sh@t, but life is too short.
That's the spirit Man!
Yeah you know you wanna achieve the level of hoppy satisfaction in your very own homebrewed beer and were all here to make this dream a reality.

Buying equipment to make this happen well that's all part of the fun eh;)

At risk of making a ghastly innuendo, I'm into anything that involves shiny metal, from mountain bikes to brewing equipment, so a conical fermentor is very appealing.

In the last few days I've completely embraced the idea of going full keg. Anything to reduce oxygen contact, and it'll re-ignite my passion for beer and brewing. It'll get me obsessing over recipes again, instead of throwing expensive hops in and always getting the same result.

So yeah, a conical fermentor or Fermzilla, and I'll buy an affordable kegerator. The wife will probably loose her sh@t, but life is too short.
I hope I'm not too late with my recommendation but I advise against "I'll buy an affordable kegerator." - I did this and found it to be a waste of money... It was much cheaper and more practical to buy a used chest freezer and build a collar around the top. It fits more kegs and cost half the price which meant I could put more money into nicer faucets etc.

Just my two cents - the manufactured kegerators and fine for folks who want a keg of commercial beer on tap but a complete waste of money and time for the homebrewer.

Keezer all the way. Super simple to build and allows room for growth.

I brew mostly IPAs and recently got a FermZilla. Prior to the FZ, I was doing primary in a plastic bucket and secondary in glass carboys, and used gravity for all the transfers. Now I do primary in the FZ and secondary in a used corny keg, with no exposure to oxygen at any stage. The difference is night and day...my beer actually smells and tastes hoppy now.

Now I do primary in the FZ and secondary in a used corny keg, with no exposure to oxygen at any stage.
I am just curious, what is your reasoning for a "secondary"?
Are you bottling from there?
You could bottle directly from the Fermzilla using the floating dip tube and a psi or two...

I brew mostly IPAs and recently got a FermZilla. Prior to the FZ, I was doing primary in a plastic bucket and secondary in glass carboys, and used gravity for all the transfers. Now I do primary in the FZ and secondary in a used corny keg, with no exposure to oxygen at any stage. The difference is night and day...my beer actually smells and tastes hoppy now.
Now I'm sold even more.

I am just curious, what is your reasoning for a "secondary"?
Are you bottling from there?
You could bottle directly from the Fermzilla using the floating dip tube and a psi or two...

"Because that's how I've always done it"? Haha, is that a valid reason?

I only have one FermZilla All-Rounder, so I need the space for the next brew. I typically leave the most recent batch in primary for a week, and then transfer into a keg so I can make the next brew. I call that secondary, but it might not be the right term.

I have one beer in primary right now, two others in kegs (which I've been referring to as "secondary") but really, they're just waiting until there's room in the fridge for them. If I'm dry hopping, I'll also do that in the keg after primary.

I only have one FermZilla All-Rounder, so I need the space for the next brew. I typically leave the most recent batch in primary for a week, and then transfer into a keg so I can make the next brew. I call that secondary, but it might not be the right term.

I have one beer in primary right now, two others in kegs (which I've been referring to as "secondary") but really, they're just waiting until there's room in the fridge for them. If I'm dry hopping, I'll also do that in the keg after primary.

lol, its a valid reason. just make sure you are able to do o2 free transfers and sanitation is key. always a chance for bugs when you move it.

Sounds to me just like a brite tank the commercial brewers use for exactly the same reason to free up the fermenter

I getcha now, do you use the rigid dip tubes in your kegs, or do you use floating dip tubes.
My questions are just to satisfy my curiosity, not questioning your methods at all :D

Back