Secondary?

Brewer #380102

Premium Member
Reaction score
I already have two kegs in the refrigerator and I’m going to start another batch. I don’t have enough room to keg and store this one as well but I was wondering if I could transfer to a secondary carboy after the primary fermentation is done and leave it there for like a month. I’ve been told you can age it as long as you want as long as you get it off the original yeast. Is this true?

That would work. Remember sanitation is key and don't splash. Minimal head space is key as well.

Edit: Actually, as long as you don't need your primary fermenter, you can leave it in primary for a month without any issues. In fact I would recommend leaving it in primary if it will only be in there for another month.

That would work. Remember sanitation is key and don't splash. Minimal head space is key as well.

Edit: Actually, as long as you don't need your primary fermenter, you can leave it in primary for a month without any issues. In fact I would recommend leaving it in primary if it will only be in there for another month.

Plus this! Yeah, going to a secondary use an opportunity for bugs and oxygen. It's not a NEIPA is it?

when i first started brewing i used the blackjack method
21 days in the primary
21 days in the bottle to condition/carb
21 days to drink it all

a month is nothing, i just dumped my 2nd beer in 10 years, it was on the cake for about a year....still looked and smelled fine......should have did a taste...but the wife was not on board

Secondary is a throwback from the old days when yeast wasn't as good as it is now and you needed to get it off of the cake before it started to create off flavors. Now a days, the yeast is so healthy you really don't need too, except for certain situation. Additionally, the more you move your beer, the more chance for oxidation and infection. I routinely leave beers in primary for as much as two months, just remember though, it you are bottling you will want to pitch new yeast on bottling day.

Gonna agree with the rest and say don’t transfer the fermented beer any more than you absolutely need to. If you just want to get some of the solids out of the beer, I recommend using a conical fermenter. It gives you the advantage of getting the beer off the dormant yeast and solids without handling the beer. Just make sure to fill the sediment bulb with clean water, some boiled DME solution, or if you can get it, some of the beer you’re making. Installing a sample spigot on the fermenter would make that easy. I find little or no effect using plain water, but I’m probably not quite qualified to be called a beer judge. I like what I make though. And I get some BEAUTIFUL clean yeast cakes that seem to make better beer. But like I said, I’m no beer judge.

I have not done a secondary on a normal beer in well over 10 years. Just not needed and you won't have issues leaving it set on the yeast for several months. It's not the same as a commercial fermentor where you can have the weight of 15 feet of height or more of beer setting on top of the yeast cake on the bottom. Don't open it at all, that's where you will get your problems from.

Back