Late hop additions in a light lager

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I currently have a recipe for a light lager with 2 late hop additions: 0.5 oz of Saaz at 15 minutes, and 0.5 oz of Saaz at 5 minutes.

This is a style I'm not very familiar with brewing. Are the separate late boil additions going to be detectable in the final beer? Or would it be better to combine them and add 1 oz at 10 minutes?

Thanks!

In most cases, there'll be a single flavor/aroma addition anywhere in the 5 to 15 minute range and in many recipes only bittering hops are used. The 2 additions aren't doing much different than one would.

Won't make much difference in IBU's generally. The idea of the late addition would be for better aroma as the oils boil off pretty rapidly. You'll get better aroma with by splitting it up...marginally.

Hello all!

I currently have a recipe for a light lager with 2 late hop additions: 0.5 oz of Saaz at 15 minutes, and 0.5 oz of Saaz at 5 minutes.

This is a style I'm not very familiar with brewing. Are the separate late boil additions going to be detectable in the final beer? Or would it be better to combine them and add 1 oz at 10 minutes?

Thanks!
Most of my lagers don't get a flavor addition. But if I were doing your beer, I'd all all the flavor hops at 5 minutes.

Kinda same idea as whirlpooling hops. You get the more volatile flavors that would boil off. For a lager I don't usually do late additions, unless it says too lol

I'm doing a pilsner with .25 oz Saaz at 60 and .75 oz at 40 min no other additions.

Thanks all. This lager calls for a flavor addition so I'll combine them into one

Back